Chapter XII

A/N: I apologize for the ridiculously long wait. There were many weird complications, but no more excuses. Here's the chapter you've been waiting for. :)

Chapter 12

“You’re finally awake!” Anael game bursting through the balcony doors and folded her wings back. 

Elaina sat up on the bed as she slowly opened her eyes. She didn’t remember how she got there and she didn’t want to try either. What forced her attention was the exploding headache. She tried easing the pain by rubbing her temples, but to no avail. 

Her mouth was dry as she felt her tongue grainy and bitter. “Sorry.”

Elaina headed to the bathroom to wash out her mouth.

Anael flipped her hair. “I saw what you did with Alaric.”

Elaina froze and dropped her towel. “What do you mean? What did I do?”

“Really?” Anael raised an eyebrow and then sighed dramatically. “Oh, Elaina. You definitely dug yourself a hole this time.”

“That’s not funny. What do you mean by that?” Panic was hitting the back of her neck and shooting through her already pounding head. 

Anael shook her head. “I’ll let you figure it out. You’re bound to find out sooner or later.”

Elaina narrowed her eyes and looked down at her hands. What did I say?

Anael kept smiling at her in a funny way and then looked at the door. “Hm, he certainly has great timing.”

Elaina tightened her lips. She wished she could look into Anael’s brain and get the curiosity and panic out of her once and for all. Didn’t seem like she could do that now.

Once the word’s left Anael’s lips, there was a knock on the door. 

“Come in.” Elaina turned to find Alaric entering the room. He came in with a glass of water and something else in his hand. He looked like he got enough rest last night. The dark circles under his eyes weren’t as threateningly dark. 

“Hey. Just wanted to check up on you.” Alaric handed her the glass and then placed a pill in her other hand. 

Elaina looked up at him. “What’s this?”

“It’ll help with your headache.”

She looked at him skeptically. “How did you-”

“I can read it on your face and also from yesterdays little glass of liquor. Just take it.” Alaric gazed at her with his intense eyes.

Elaina looked at the water. Liquor? It vaguely hit her as she remembered snippets of last night. His office. The brown drink. The warmth.

Elaina stopped her thoughts and put the pill in her mouth; swallowing it down with water. She hoped it would help because she wanted to think straight and remember clearly the incident that happened last night.

“I’ll take that.” Alaric held his hand out as Elaina passed him the glass. 

“Thank you.” Elaina went over to sit on the bed. Alaric never left his gaze from hers as she moved across the room. 

“Are you ready to do your training?” Alaric crossed his arms. 

“What?” Elaina rubbed her neck and then remembered. “Oh. Yes. When?”

“Now.” Alaric headed towards the door. “I’ll wait for you in front of the house.”

Elaina nodded and hopped off the bed and headed towards the closet to pick out clothes. The headache refrained her from choosing clothes. She will need Anael’s guidance. Alaric took the glass and left the room, closing the door with a click.