Chapter IX

Chapter 9

"It's okay. I got you."

Alaric pulled Elaina's shaking body out of the water and carried her over towards a dry patch of grass. He gently laid her down as he sat down next to her. She curled herself into a ball as her eyes were fixated towards the ground in front of her.

"Hey," Alaric took one of her hands, "It's okay now."

"No," Elaina shook her head, "no, it's not."

"What did he tell you? Did he say anything?"

"He wants something from me, but didn't tell me what." Elaina squeezed his hand.

Shit. Alaric was at a lost. He didn't know what to think. He didn't know how to comfort a person when they need it; hell he didn't know even when to comfort people. Alaric looked towards the water. What the hell happened down there?

"Lets go back home; get you dried and cleaned up," Alaric said. His mom could give her better comfort than he could.

Elaina shakily got up from her position to stand. Her gaze was still averted down and cold. Alaric sensed she put up this wall between them, not even meeting his gaze or seeping out any emotion. There was no more of the opened and smiling Elaina he had seen a while ago.

Her new demeanor had his wolf whining and stirring. Alaric couldn't help but be fidgety around her too. She seemed even more sensitive than ever. He didn't know how to take care of someone who's as delicate as glass.

"Come one. I'll take you on my back."

Elaina shook her head in disapproval. "I'll walk."

"Stop. You're in no state to walk."

"I'm fine."

"You don't look fine. Stop arguing and just listen." Alaric didn't want to see her so emotionless, it was unnatural.

Elaina looked at him, her eyes blank. It made Alaric's jaw tighten; he wanted to bring back the old Elaina.

Alaric shifted without waiting for the approval that was never coming. He slowly went towards her and laid on his stomach, making it easier to climb. Elaina sighed then slowly went towards him and climbed his back. Alaric slowly raised himself, making sure she wouldn't fall off. When he was sure she holding on tightly he took off.

***

I can't fall for him; it'll lead to his death.

Elaina gently closed her eyes and tightened her fist around the black fur. Yet she couldn't deny feeling something for him. How gentle he can be and yet fiercely protective over his loved ones. The boyish side of him that comes out sparingly. It was those things and more that Elaina deeply admired in him.

Stop it! She needed to leave this place soon and get back home before things get complicated. She looked at the fast moving ground. What do you want from me? Hurry and tell me!

The image of The Fallen lingered in the back of her mind. Cold chills ran down her spine at the thought of him. If The Fallen would tell her what he wanted her to do then she can go home faster before...

You won't fall for Alaric. You can't. Her conscience gave her a firm warning. Elaina sighed internally and turned her gaze over to the back of the wolf's head. His breathing was steady and raspy as he dodged shrubs and rocks. Beneath her, she could feels his muscles rippling and moving as the pace never faltered. Elaina placed her hand on the top of his head and stroked his fur all the way down to his neck. She felt him vibrate his rumble at her action and gave her a side glance.