Chapter X (Part 2 of 2)

Chapter 10 (Part 2 of 2)

Elaina slowly walked over towards Alaric. She sat down at the seat that was next to him. 

“Good evening,” Alaric greeted.

Elaina kept her eyes on her plate. “Why are you doing this?” Why was he making things harder on her? 

“What do you mean?”

Elaina looked at him with confusion and then narrowed her eyes. He knew exactly what she meant.

Fine. I can be equally as stubborn.

Alaric signaled for dinner to start. Plates were being handed around and conversations were floating around the room.

Elaina put some salad onto her plate before passing the bowl over to Alaric.

Alaric touched her hand while grabbing the bowl from her. Elaina jumped a little at the contact, but didn’t give him the satisfaction of submitting in to his little charade. Alaric noticed her reaction and saw a ghost of a smile forming on his lips. 

Elaina tightened her lips. When she gave him the next dish, she made sure to curl her hands in the effort to avoid his fingers. Her tactic was successful so she continued the same method for the rest of the dishes being passed around.

“You look like you didn’t sleep well. There are dark circles under your eyes.” Alaric looked at her intently, causing Elaina to slightly blush.

“I slept fine.” Elaina straightened her shoulder and took a forkful of salad into her mouth. She didn’t know why she was eating. She wasn’t even hungry in the first place. Her appetite was numb with all the problems and stress she’s been going through for the past few days. 

“Sure.” Alaric smirked. “Dark circles come from lack of sleep and stress is most commonly known for the lack of sleep.”

“I’ll try to relax then.”

Alaric was pushing her.

“I can help you.”

“No, you can’t.”

“I deal with stress. I practically live in it.”

“I don’t need your help.”

“I like that stubborn streak in you, Elaina.” Alaric leaned back in his chair. “But you gotta learn how to be obedient sometimes, especially when it’s for your own good.”

“Then I need to have the stubborn streak.” Because it’s for your own good. Elaina bit her tongue from completing the sentence. 

“I don’t think so. I’m going to break that stubbornness.”

Alaric’s eyes lit up at the challenge he laid out on the table. Elaina tightened her fist around the fork. He was equally as stubborn as her. She somehow found it slightly amusing, but irritation dominated her emotions. 

“Why are you doing this?”

“I already told you. I want to help you.”

Elaina hook her head in disbelief. “You’re a fool. Do you want to die?”

The dining room became silent at Elaina’s words. She looked around to find everyone staring at her. Fear seeped into her veins. All their faces showed utter shock and some showed a bit of anger. Elaina wanted to crawl under the table and  escape from all the heavy glares.

“Alaric.” The man across from Elaina looked between Alaric and her. His serious demeanor etched into his face. 

Alaric raised his hand briefly and narrowed his eyes. “What’d you mean by that? Who’s going to kill me? You?”