Chapter VIII (Part 2 of 2)

Chapter 8: Part 2 of 2

What is he thinking? Maybe he was going to kill her? For some reason she doubted that and continued to look out the window. There was nothing to indicate where she was other than in the dense forest. 

She turned her head to him; he still had the crooked smile placed on his lips. He still didn’t answer her question back at the office, she clenched her hand into fists. She didn’t know if his avoiding the answer and acting this way was a positive reaction. If anything, his change of mood was confusing her more than that night. What was he up to?

The truck stopped in front of a large towering tree. Alaric parked it and shut the engine off. He jumped out of the truck and opened her door from the outside, helping her out. Elaina looked around, there was nothing other than trees and wildlife surrounding her. She eyed Alaric, skeptical of his unknown plan.

“It’s a little ways off to where I want to go to. That means you have two options; we could walk there or,” he smirked, “we can get there faster if you ride my back.”

“I’ll walk.” With that Elaina walked away from him, starting the grueling walk ahead of her. She didn’t know why she was being stubborn. Maybe to get back at him for his immediate change in attitude. Or maybe she didn’t want to face being in contact with his wolf yet. She remembered the heavy tension between them on the ride home, she shuddered internally. Not going to happen again.

“Alright, but you’re going the wrong way.” 

Elaina stopped and turned towards him. He pointed in the opposite direction she was initially walking, his eyes laughing at her. She bit her lip, trying to calm her flaming cheeks down from the embarrassment. She walked in the direction he pointed, not meeting his gaze as she passed by him.

This reminded her of that night all over again. She couldn’t help but feel a little scared that this will be a replay. She prayed it wasn’t. 

Elaina was climbing a medium-sized rock that blocked her path when she slipped on debris. The only thing that was in her view was the dirt and rocks. She felt something sneak around her waist, stopping her from falling face flat and producing bruises. She turned up to see Alaric and his intense blue eyes. Her breath was stuck in her throat, feeling herself getting lost in his deep gaze. Her skin produced goosebumps where his arms touched her body.

“Be more careful. Wouldn’t want to see you get hurt.” His breathe tickling her cheeks. Her eyes travelled down to his lips, reminding her of the kiss. She bit her own lip at the memory.

Stop! Her conscious was screaming and telling her to run away. Yet she couldn’t, didn’t want to. When she told him she felt something, she really did. She just couldn’t place it anywhere between good or bad. Human emotions were so confusing. Was it even human emotions? Yes, but no one was forcing her to feel them. Angels usually never feel this much towards one individual. 

Before she could lose her mind, he loosened his hold to help her get over the rock and continue onward, breaking the close contact. The only contact left was his hand clasped with hers. It wasn’t enough for Elaina though, now she wished she took up his offer of riding his back.

As they continued walking, Elaina heard a faint whooshing noise. It started to get louder the more they moved forward. It soon became clear that it was water; the sound of water moving loud and fast. Alaric guided her through thick bushes and trees to stop right on the edge of a lake. Elaina held her breathe at the sheer beauty of it all. 

There was a waterfall in front of her, towering over them and making Elaina crane her neck to try and see the top. She gave up trying and looked at the end of the waterfall, the water was foaming and the color looked like Alaric’s eyes.