Love Olympus (1)

Mr. Smirk was my imaginary friend.

Well I thought he was.

You're probably wondering who Mr. Smirk is, right?... Then that means I have to tell you, however before I go into detail...

Let's start from the beginning shall we?

 Ten years ago

"He can't smile," I told mom. "That's why it's his name."

"Who can't sweety?" She leaned away from the sink to look at me.

"Mr. Smirk," I stated. Mom sighed impatiently.

"How many times do I have to tell you Venus..." Mom muttered getting back to her dishes. She's been doing that a lot lately. Sighing and shaking her head like I did something wrong. I frowned.

"You know he's real right.... Right mom?" I assured her.

"You're seven for god sakes Venus!" Mom impatiently stopped washing the dishes. "You don't want to be different honey," she turned around with a pained expression. I felt like I was going to cry again. I hate when mom tries to tell me I'm wrong. Mr. Smirk is real, I know it! I played with him, talked to him, I mean, the only time I say he's there for some reason he turns into smoke and disappears within a heartbeat.

I hate when he does that. I hate it when he makes me look crazy. He made me promise not to expose him, but I just can't help it!

"Venus," mom sighed cleaning her hands with her apron. Her shoes made the same familiar sound as she came near me and knelt down. She sighed once again pulling some loose strands of my hair behind my ear and spoke in a quiet voice.

"You've switched schools once Venus... Because of that nonsense talk of Mr. Smirk. You've been hanging onto this Mr. Smirk nonsense since you could talk honey. It was cute before, but it's not anymore."

I lowered my chin and let the tears fall. My own mother thinks I'm crazy.

"Honey," she lifted my chin as I stared into her soft brown eyes. "You don't want to be different again, right?" Mom raised her eyebrows. I noded back because it was the truth. I would always be shoved around at my old school. It got so bad kids would call me all sorts of names. I didn't mind it, but mom was certain I was being bullied and harrassed.

"So no more of this Mr. Smirk nonesense," she patted my hand. "Promise?" Mom raised her eyebrows really high.

"Promise," I sniffed.

"Okay," she said, smiling and getting upup. "Go to bed.. It's late, plus you have school in the morning."

"Okay," I jumped off my seat and skipped to the stairs. Stopping halfway there I took one step up and turned to my left. Mr. Smirk was leaning beside my mom and winking at me.

"Mom," I called out.

"Yes, honey?" She turned around.

I stared at how real he looked standing there beside mom and gulped. Mr. Smirk stared at me in that speechless moment. He looked terrified as if something horrible was happening, but I didn't care anymore. I stared until I couldn't stare anymore because, somewhere deep down inside, my heart I knew if I blinked.

It would be the last time I ever saw him.

"Nothing," I whispered and ran upstairs

"He's not real," I chanted to myself over and over and over again...

He's not real.

He's not real.

He's not real.