Chapter 25: A Talk

Alucard and I were alone in his...well...our room. He sat in his chair and I sat on the floor, looking up at him. He was staring at me intently, waiting for my explanation for everything.

"Well, I'll start at the very beginning." I took a deep breath. "Fredrick, my latest master, was a Nazi. He would have phone calls with the Major and sometimes Fredrick would bring me along to meet with him. We aided him at times but not very much.

"The Major, trusting Fredrick, asked him to get close to the Queen herself. And that's where I came in. Fredrick had already felt more comfortable when I was male and so I had been named Nicholas, or Nico for short. Seeing how I looked the Queen's age, he sent me to do his bidding. He ordered that I get the Queen to fall in love with me so she would tell me all of her secrets.

"It was difficult to get a meeting with the Queen without frightening her. But, I did manage. Not too long after, we began to spend time together. The Queen, as you probably saw today, did develop feelings for me.

"Fredrick would ask for a report from me every day, wanting to know if I made any progress. Now, I would not lie to him but...I did not tell him everything. For you see...the Queen reminded me of when I was human. She reminded me of myself.

"Fredrick then ordered me to kill her as soon as I could. Seeing as I had grown attached to her...I couldn't bring myself to. Then, Fredrick died of a heart attack in his sleep, leaving my master today. I left the Queen and tended to Joshua in this form. That's really all I can say about that." I looked down in my lap.

"When she asked you if you did it for your master or you two...what was that about?" Alucard asked.

"The Queen a few days before Fredrick died, found out his plans. But, she also found out that I refused to kill her. So, her feelings never changed for me. She asked me that because she wanted to know if I continued to stay with her because of Fredrick or because of our feelings.

"And when I said both...I stayed because Fredrick ordered me to have her fall in love with me and if she stopped loving me, then I would have failed my orders.

"Then the 'us' part was only partly true. I stayed because I didn't want to hurt her. She reminded me of myself. I didn't know this at the time but I felt that it would just be like when you were on the battlefield for all that time." I met Alucard's gaze. "Of course, I didn't have that memory but deep down...that's what I felt. But I still...I still made her go through that pain." I looked down sadly. "Then again...I think it would hurt her more if I told her I didn't have the same feelings that she has for me."

"Amelia..." Alucard reached down and placed his hand on my cheek. "I'm sorry if I hurt you for leaving."

I looked back up at him. "It's alright. You were trying to protect your people and there's nothing more admiring than that." 

Then I smiled. "You know, I think I created my Nico personality to match yours, even if I didn't realize it. I mean, I would kiss her on the hand, dance with her, flirt with her, make her blush..." Alucard chuckled. "It has been a long time since I was in that form." I thought aloud.

"Yes I was quite surprised to see you suddenly become a man." Alucard chuckled again.

"Well, you aren't the only one that can change genders. Walter told me all about you being a girl when he was a young child." I replied.

"Yes...That was fifty-five years ago, though."

"Nico was created sixty years ago." I chuckled.

We heard footsteps and I shifted my body around so I could see who it was. It was Walter with a bottle of wine in his hands. He stepped forward and placed the wine bottle on the table.