Chapter 6: Gone

A few months passed since our wedding. I was sitting in the lounge, facing the fire as I read a book. Vlad was called for some business but I was free for the day. It was fairly early in the morning; so early that the sun had yet to rise. I had visited my uncle and the others already and they were doing fine. I didn't know Vlad's servants as well so I rarely spoke to them.

I was humming as I read. Of course, I was humming "The Black Knight" tune. I often found myself humming it.

An arm wrapped around my chest. "You called?"

I looked to see Vlad smiling. I chuckled. "Oh yes I did, my Black Knight!" I exaggerated. "I have been so lonely and find that I have nothing to do!"

Vlad chuckled. "Well, you may find yourself quite lucky. I happen to have plans for just the two of us."

"Oh, you save the day yet again, my Black Knight!" I giggled.

"Come, we may not have much time." Vlad stepped around the chair and held his hand out to me. I took it and he helped me up.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Outside." Vlad smiled.

I chuckled. "Where outside?"

"A place." Vlad replied.

I sighed with a smile and gave up. Vlad still held my hand as we left the castle and began walking somewhere. I only became confused when we began to walk through the forest.

When Vlad stopped walking, I looked to see what he was staring at. We were standing on a hill, staring at the sunrise. Bursts of orange, pink and purple spread across the sky and there was the bright sun, beginning to raise into the sky.

I didn't realize I had walked ahead of Vlad as I stared at the scene. I had never seen a more beautiful sunrise.

Arms wrapped around my waist and slightly pulled me back into their chest. "It is beautiful, is it not?" Vlad whispered.

"It is." I agreed, placing a hand on top of Vlad's arms and leaning my head back into him. We stayed like that for a while before the sun fully raised and we had to take our gaze off it. Vlad took my hand once again.

"Let us return to the castle." Vlad said. I nodded and he led the way back.

We walked back inside and Vlad led me to the ballroom. I decided not to question it. Vlad kept a hold on my hand and placed his other hand on my waist. I chuckled and placed my free hand on his shoulder. We began to waltz together even though there was no music.

"Hum for me, my dear." Vlad muttered.

"As you wish." I smiled and began to hum a tune that was not "The Black Knight".

When I finished humming, Vlad placed his forehead against mine, his eyes closed. "Diana..."

"What is wrong?" I asked, seeing there was clearly something he was worried about.

"...I must go to the battlefield this afternoon." Vlad answered.

"What?" I said with a small voice.

"I do not wish to leave you but the kingdom will fall if I do not go." Vlad opened his eyes and put his hand on my cheek.

"...Oh...I see..." I casted my eyes downward, a small frown on my lips.

"Please, do not be upset by this." Vlad rubbed his thumb against my cheek.

"I am not upset. I am just worried for you. I do not want to see you get hurt." I rested my hand on his as I leaned into it.