Chapter 7: New Life

The next night, I was alone in bed. I still mourned and would no longer speak to anyone, even if it was Austin. I was laying in bed, staring at the ceiling as tears fell down my cheeks again for the umpteenth time. I would happen to find my thoughts filled with memories of Vlad and I couldn't think about anything else.

As I was laying in bed, silent, the sounds of screams vibrated throughout the castle. I sat up, my tears immediately stopping. I wiped them away and got out of bed. I heard more screams so I looked out my window.

My home, Transylvania was on fire. I gasped. Then the hinges to my door broke as the door was kicked in. I spun around wildly, grabbing a sword by my bedside. There stood a man with red eyes and bloodstained clothing.

"Hello, my dearest." The man had a hint of a Romanian accent but not as strong as Vlad's. He had short black hair and wore all black.

"Who the hell are you?" I snapped, raising my sword.

"How can you not remember me? It is I, Steven. I have come for you, Gabriella." The man took a step towards me.

"You mistake me for someone else!" I shouted.

"But how could I forget your beautiful face?" The man chuckled. He suddenly lunged towards me. I plunged my sword into his stomach but the man wasn't even fazed as he grabbed my face.

"W-What...? How is that possible?" I whispered as I tried to get free from him. But, he was so strong.

The man opened his mouth and showed sharp fangs, like that of a bat's. "Now we can be together forever, Gabriella." He ripped the cloth on my night shirt that covered my neck. He suddenly bit into my neck, making me gasp aloud. I screamed as I tried to pull him off me. But, as I said before, he was too strong.

Then, he grabbed my head and pushed it toward his neck. I struggled but he opened my mouth and made me bite into his neck. But, there were already two puncture marks there. It didn't matter as the man make me drink his blood.

My vision faded as I fell to the ground after the man released me. The last thing I remembered before I passed out was the smell of smoke.

When I awoke, I found my bedroom in ashes. Everything was charred black. I stood on my feet and began searching for anyone in the castle. The castle was in shambles, ash and dust was littered on the floor and the walls were burnt.

When I did not find anyone, I immediately went to my old home. I was completely shocked as I saw people running as the streets burned and blood splattered the ground.

I slammed open the doors of my estate. "Uncle!! Sarah!! Robert!! Austin!!" I shouted. There was no response. I began to frantically search for my family. I went into the kitchen and covered my mouth as tears filled my eyes.

There laid Sarah and Robert, covered in blood. Their eyes were wide and skin was torn open. I spoke with a shaky breath. "N-No...I-it's not possible! T-This is all a bad dream!" I fell to my knees, right into a pool of blood. I reached out and touched them. They were real. I screamed in shock and misery. In denial of the events, I shot to my feet and ran, looking for anyone.

I looked in the lounge to see the same fate had befallen my uncle. He was on the floor in front of the fireplace which was but a single lick of flame. Tears fell down my cheeks as I looked at his corpse. "U-Uncle...?" No response. I covered my mouth to suppress the sound of my screams.

I ran out of the room once again and straight to Austin's room. I opened the door. The room was splattered with blood and was a complete mess. Clothes were strewn about, the bed was flipped, and tables were on their sides.

I heard the sound of whimpering. I stepped forward. "A-Austin...?"

The whimpering stopped. "...Ms...Diana...?"

I ran forward to see Austin curled into a ball in the corner. He was uninjured, no blood or anything on him. I let out the biggest sigh of relief. "Oh, thank goodness you're alright!" I crouched down in front of him.

"Ms. Diana!" Austin cried, hugging me. I returned it. "Oh, it was so scary! These men came in and they...they..."

"...I saw, Austin...I know...And I'm so sorry you had to see that." I stroked his head.

"Sarah...I...I saw Sarah get e...eaten..." Austin cried harder.

I froze in terror. "Eaten...?" Austin simply nodded. I closed my eyes and simply stood, holding him in my arms. "I'm sorry, Austin. But, we must leave immediately. There will be time to mourn when we are not in danger." I went to the door.

There stood Sarah, Robert, and my uncle. There skin was purple as well as their eyes. Their wounds were still there and they simply moaned. I gasped and took a step back. They tried to reach their hands towards Austin and I.

Austin raised his head to turn and look but I put a hand on the back of his head and gently pushed him to my shoulder. "Sh...do not look...Please...cover your ears." I whispered. Austin did so.

I looked at what had been cheery, loving people. They were now terrifying, unfeeling beings. Sarah lurched forward and tried to bite me but I swung my hand swiftly, almost on instinct. Shockingly, my hand plunged into her chest and through heart. I gasped and began to shake as tears fell. What did I just do?!

Sarah fell to the ground and I did my best not to scream. The same treatment was given to my uncle and Robert. I had just killed my family with a single blow. What was wrong with me? I shook my head, refusing to cry anymore until Austin and I were safe. But, I crouched down and closed there eyes, whispering soft prayers.

That night, Austin and I got on my stallion, Ike and rode off to the only place I could think of. England. It was nearby and had most likely not been through the same fate as Transylvania.

I managed to sneak us in, paying a few people along the way. Austin and I hid in an abandoned home in the forest. I helped him into new clothes and got him settled.

"Ms. Diana...what happened to your eyes?" Austin asked.

"Hm?" I raised an eyebrow.

"They're red." Austin said. I immediately looked into a mirror and gasped. My eyes were indeed red and my canine teeth were much sharper.

"I am...I am not sure..." I whispered.

"Well...can I...can I cry now?" Austin's eyes filled with tears.

"Yes...cry now, my dear child. And do not let anyone call you weak for crying. There is always someone that must cry when their loved one is lost." I replied.

"Ms. Diana...please...please don't leave me too." Austin cried.

I closed my eyes. "Never shall I leave your side. How about I make a proposition? What was Sarah, Austin?"

"She...was a servant..." Austin sniffled.

"My dear Austin...I shall take Sarah's place and do my best to be like her. Now tell me...what am I?" I looked into his eyes.

"You're my...my...my servant." Austin said.

"And I shall be that way for the rest of my life. For as many generations, I shall serve you and whatever family you come to make." I put a hand on my heart. "I swear on my name."

And that...that was how it was done. That was how I became a vampire and the start of my service to the name of "Austin Ademar".