The Diary of the Devil [12]

School starts in two days, guys. This year I'm really cracking down on myself. High school is very important to me and I need to do good. So that means limited time on wattpad. Uploads will not be as frequent as they were. I'll try to upload on weekends. I'm not giving up on my stories. I promise. Just please bare with me. And on teacher work days, Thanksgiving break, Winter break, Spring break and others I'll upload. But in the meantime, I'd really like it if you could tell your friends about my stories and whatnot. It'll help me upload faster. Thanks. :)

O_^.^_O_^.^_O_^.^_O

I couldn't sleep that night. I wanted desperately to pull out Max's diary and read until the first rays of morning shone into my room. I was too scared, though. I kept having fleeting visions of Max barging into my room, right when I pulled out the little pink book. This girl was going to be the death of me, I was sure of it. Her diary stayed under my bed. I didn't have the balls to open it.

When my alarm clock went off, I had to stop myself from throwing it across the room. I had only gotten literally five minutes of sleep. I threw on some clothes and slugged downstairs where my mom met me with a hasty kiss on the cheek and a cereal bar, which I blindly accepted and stuffed into my bag.

"You'd better get outside if you don't want to miss the bus," she informed me while grabbing her purse and car keys.

"Can't you just drive me?" came my sleepy reply. My eyes fluttered closed as I leaned against the wall near the door.

Mom paused in her rush to get to work and looked me over worriedly. "Is everything alright, baby?"

Without opening my eyes or actually truly comprehending what she was saying, I muttered, "Yeah, sure."

She placed the back of her hand against my forehead. "Hmm, well, there's no fever. Were you up all night with your laptop again?" she tsked accusingly.

"No, I..." I opened my eyes slowly. What explanation did I have? I stole a monster's diary and now I'm afraid she's out to get me? I couldn't sleep because a metaphoric nuclear bomb was resting underneath my bed with an unexpected countdown and I didn't know when it was going to 'blow?' I looked like hell, I didn't know what I was wearing, my stomach was in knots, my brain ached, and my life was on the line. Right now, I didn't want to go to school. Right now, I had no explanation. I could go with what Mom was saying. I could fake sick.

I coughed into my hand and huddled into my jacket, pretending to be cold. "I just don't feel very well today."

Mom put her purse down and looked into my eyes. "What is it?"

"My... stomach? Yeah, and my throat." I coughed again, peering over my clenched fist at my mom, hoping she was buying this crap act.

She sighed and dug in her purse, pulling out two long rectangular pieces of paper. "That's too bad... I had tickets to that band you and your father like. But if you're not feeling well--"

"AC DC?" I exclaimed, suddenly shrugging off the sick façade and lunging for the tickets.

"Ha!" Mom shouted, jumping back and waving the paper in front of my face. "They're not tickets! They're pieces of scrap paper I write phone numbers on, you fake fool." She slapped my cheeks. "You think you can dupe me? I'm a GOD."

I groaned. "Please don't make me go to school today, Mom."

She crossed her arms defiantly. "Do you have a reasonable explanation?"

I scratched the back of my neck. "Well... no."

"Are you going to tell me why you don't want to go to school today?"