The Diary of the Devil [9]

PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND FAN. I think that's the guy that is going to play Blake unless I find someone better. LISTEN TO THE SONG. I SWEAR YOU'LL FALL IN LOVE. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF IT.

O_^.^_O_^.^_O_^.^_O

"What do I think of Blake Martinez?" I looked at Max. What I saw made my heart twinge with guilt.

She was smiling so wide, she looked so happy. There was an actual emotion in her eyes other than hate towards me. The devil had a heart. Maybe all she needed was a little loving. Blake wasn't going to give it to her. But she didn't know that. I did.

"Blake Martinez is..." Mr. and Mrs. Callers bowed their heads while waiting for me to continue. It looked like a signal, telling me to go on. "He's the most-"

"Greyson," Max whispered. "What are you doing?" 

She heard the malice in my voice, I was sure of it. I ignored the wounded tone she took on, but I couldn't help but look at her again. Her face was sad, and it said it all. She was angry with me, because she knew that I was going to ruin her chance at having a boyfriend. But her anger was squelched with hurt, betrayal, and sadness. I knew Max. I may have hated her, but I knew her better than anyone else. And I knew that even though she was beautiful, it was difficult for her to get someone to love her, or even just a date, because she was who she was. If I was going to go through what I thought would be right, then I would have to endure a lifetime of pain inflicted by the devil herself.

Everyone waited to hear what I thought of Blake. Max looked as if she were about to cry and rip my head off at the same time. I sighed. "I think Blake is... a great guy, and he's be perfect for Max."

And at the last second I changed my mind. I couldn't do that to her. She may be mean and sadistic, but I wasn't. Two wrongs don't make a right. When you play fire with fire, you just get burned.

Max's face brightened up, as did her parents'. 

"Well, that's wonderful," Mrs. Callers admired.

"If Greyson thinks he's great for Max, then I accept," Mr. Callers added. I hated myself.

Max pushed her arm against mine. I knew that meant thank you.

I stood up. "If you'll excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom," I mumbled. I heard Avery and Noah push their chairs back and follow me upstairs. My mom offered everyone tea and coffee.

As soon as we were in my room, Avery burst. "What the hell, dude?!"

"Yeah, you hate Blake Martinez," Noah agreed.

I rolled my eyes at them. "I know I hate him, guys."

"Then why did you approve him to Max's parents?"

"I... I don't know. It's difficult to explain." I sighed, sitting down on the edge of my bed and pressing the palms of my hands against my eyes. "She just seemed so happy..."

"When have you ever cared when Max Callers, a.k.a. your long time bully, was happy?" Avery snorted.

I stood up and looked him square in the eye. "I've always cared. She may be horrible and cruel to me but that doesn't mean she shouldn't be happy. I'm not like her, Ave. I want her to be happy."

Avery nodded, and didn't say anything more. "So, what are you gonna make her do?"

I rubbed a hand down my face. "I don't know yet."

"Hey, you know what you should make her do?" Noah said, putting on his thinking face. I shook my head. "You should make her your personal chef! She could make me some really good stuff."