Chapter 6: I Hate Crime Fighting

After Gavin and Ray had managed to get over the shock of meeting the other heroes in this town, and go get the few groceries that they had set out for in the first place, they retired back to their apartment. Ray slumped down onto the couch to search for jobs to replenish the money they had left, while Gavin got ready for his. Gavin worked with a couple friends in a start-up company that went by the name of RoosterTeeth. Of course, Gavin had offered to get Ray in the company, but Ray turned it down every time. Except this time. Ray sighed discontentedly and buried his hands in his head. "No one is FUCKING HIRING!" he fumed. He turned his head up to Gavin, "Can I come with you? To the company?" Gavin stopped in his tracks. "Do you want to?" 
"Of course I want to! We need money, and that job makes money. It seems like fun, because you seem to love it. Plus they have good hours. And I'm assuming they know about the superhero thing because that's what keeps getting me fired from my other jobs." 
"You are right... but that's only because one of the founders, Geoff, was the one who basically gave me shelter and food for the first few years I was in the U.S."
"Okay, true, but are you sure that I can join?"
"Trust me. I talk you up so much that they already know you can join."

"Awesome! Let's go! Wait. You talk about me?"

Gavin immediately turned brick red when he realized what he said. He started shuffling from one foot to the next and choked out "Y-yeah! You're like. My best mate! Of course I talk about you!" Ray's elation at finding out he talked about him in a positive light slightly deflated due to the fact that Gavin called him his friend. He nodded and smiled, "I'd be disappointed if you didn't talk about me, man!" He flashed a warm smile and Gavin's embarrassed expression melted into one as well. "Let's get going then, mate!" He and Ray walked down the hall to the elevator, and once that scary ride (for Gavin at least) was over, they were out the front door and down the street to the bus stop. They only had to wait a few minutes before the bus came through. 

Gavin's work was thankfully in a very small office on the same route as they take to the grocery store, and pretty much everywhere else they needed to go, so they didn't need to memorize bus schedules. Ray spent a majority of the time watching the grey buildings pass by, some appearing tattooed by the sprawling graffiti spread across their concrete walls. Ray imagined the lives of the people that lived in the high rise apartments, he imagined a business man who spoke elegantly when he needed to make a deal, but his favorite word happened to be fuck. He'd smile calmly and vacantly when shaking hands with a very difficult client, and when he left the premises and was in the safety of his own car, all he would do was scream fuck it at the top of his lungs. Ray smiled at the thought. He turned and tried to relate to Gavin what he thought was so funny, but he ended up catching him staring at him. There was an awkward smile between them, and then Gavin turned to look out the window on his side of the bus. Ray was left smiling, albeit confused. The bus came to a stop and the doors squeaked open. Ray glanced at Gavin to see if it was this stop. He knew the second stop was the grocery store, and the third was the laundromat. Gavin stood, stretched out, and motioned for Ray to follow him. 

"You'll love the guys at work. They're all top. There's Ryan, Jack, Kara, Geoff, Gus, Michael, Lindsay, Barbara, and of course Burnie. We're pretty bloody small right now but we're gaining popularity. There's like, loads of resumes."
"Alright, sounds good man, I'm sure I'll love it, now keep a watch out. We don't want to miss it."
"Thank you for saying that right as we were bloody passing it."

The sandy-haired man made an abrupt 90 degree turn, nearly slamming himself into Ray. He walked through the small parking lot up to the dingy, crumbling brick walls that made up the building where he worked. He opened the glass door that read: 319 Oak Avenue, Achievement City - RoosterTeeth Offices in peeling letters. Despite the run-down exterior, the inside was actually quite nice, there was a small waiting area with a receptionists desk. There was a very pretty blonde sat behind the desk, and she excitedly waved at Gavin. "Hi! Is that the Ray we've been hearing about?" Gavin quickly introduced him and rushed out of the room, his face exceptionally red at Kara's comment. Ray grinned and simply stated, "She's cool."

 Gavin was still a hot shade of tomato when he walked into the room he worked in with Geoff, Michael, Jack, and Ryan. Ray stood looking at it in stunned silence. Shelves of games, top of the line computers, amazing microphones, at each computer there was an X-Box. Ray was so in awe that he didn't even notice the mustached man standing there. "Hello motherfuckers....! Is that Ray?" Ray snapped his head in the direction he heard his name come from. He sheepishly said Hello to the man in front of him, feeling very scrutinized by his bright blue eyes as they surveyed him. He noticed that he was essentially a walking canvas with his intricately designed tattoo sleeves. "Nice to meet ya, buddy! Gav's told me a whole fuckin' lot about you." Gavin stared angrily at him, muttering something about how he only talked about him a little. Ray just broke into laughter at his friends indigence, which lightened up Gavin's spirits a bit. Geoff told him to get settled, and that the others should be arriving soon. Leaving Ray very nervous about his soon-to-be coworkers.

A/N: Ayyyyyy! Another chapter done! Alrighty, I'm just glad to have finished this chapter, and I'll try to update more.