Spying

Faith and James found a table in the corner and started to inspect the menu, occaisionally checking up on Neville. They’d positioned themselves so Uncle Nev could see them over Luna’s shoulder. Paulina was sat on the opposite side so Luna could see Albus over Nev’s shoulder. When Nev spotted them, James gave him a quick thumbs-up. Paulina bought herself and Albus each a generous meal, so they could pass food down to Rose and Lily, under the table. 

“How can I help you?” Madame Rosmerta drawled, taking a notepad out of her pocket.

“Err, two Butterbeers please.” James said, looking over a Faith to see if she was ready to order their meals.  “and I’ll have a Fish and Chips please.”  He continued, setting down his menu.

“Ooh, that sounds nice, I’ll have the same!” Faith grinned, placing her menu next to James’. Madame  Rosmerta scribbled down their orders and walked back over to the bar.

Meanwhile, Paulina had found a quick quotes quill in Rita’s handbag and was taking notes of how Neville was doing so they could give him tips for next time.

“So.” She said, pushing her glasses up her nose “How’s he doing?”

“He’s doing okay, can you hear what they’re saying?” Albus asked Rose, who was leaning against his legs under the table.

“Here.” She passed the end of one of her extendable ears up to him. “Vintage but amazing!” She whispered.

“Umm so…  I read you article on ‘Loser’s Lurgy last month. It was very interesting.” They heard Neville stutter. Paulina checked that the quick quotes quill was writing it all down, and gulped down another lot of Polyjuice potion.

“Thank you. It’s a very complex topic.” Luna mumbled dreamily

“I remember that time in sixth year when you last commentated on a Quidditch match”

“Haha, yeah McGonagall swore she’d never let me commentate again!” Luna laughed “Bet she regrets letting me back!”

“Hmm!” Neville agreed

“You had your fair share of amazing moments!” Luna pointed out

“What? Nah!” Neville mumbled

“Saving the wizarding world from Lord Voldemort, by killing his snake!” Luna reminded

“Well yeah, but it’s not that big a deal.” Albus, Rose and Lily watched as Luna took his hands.

“It is a big deal!” She told him

“Aww!” Lily gasped from under the table

“They are so sweet together!” Paulina cooed, reading the conversation written on her note pad as Luna and Neville got up and left, holding hands. James and Faith, on finishing their meal, rushed over to join Paulina-who was herself again-Albus, Rose and Lily.

“Oh my gosh!” Faith exclaimed reading the conversation Paulina had recorded on Rita’s notepad

“C’mon lets go for a walk.” James said leading Faith out, accompanied by wolf-whistles from their friends.

James took Faith to the shrieking shack, where he told her about his grandfather’s link with it and his father’s link with it,

“This is where he met Sirius Black, his Godfather, for the first time. Maybe if they hadn’t let Pettigrew escape that night things would have been very different.” James wondered

“And if Albus Dumbledore hadn’t told them to save Sirius, your father would have died at the ministry two years later!” Faith exclaimed. James nodded in agreement and hugged her close.

“Well well well!” a pompus voice exclaimed

“What now Malfoy?” James groaned turning round, and Faith couldn’t help but remember what Luna had told her.

“Discussing family history? Rather scandalus if you ask me, befriending Murderers and Werewolves. “ Scorpius teased

“Don’t you dare!” James warned, grabbing his wand

“no James! He’s not worth it!” Faith told him. Scorpius laughed loudly, as Goyle’s trousers fell round his ankles.

“W-what!” Scorpius stuttered as a large snowball smacked him in the back of the head. Something grabbed Jackson Zabini’s leg and dragged him up towards the haunted house. “Run!” Malfoy yelled scrambling up, followed by showers of snowballs.

“Haha! Nice one guys!” James laughed

“Remember when Dad told us about that time he played that prank on Draco Malfoy!” Albus exclaimed, emerging from under the cloak with Rose

“We were inspired!” Rose said, dramatically

“Brilliant!” Faith laughed, glad her friends could help her that time. What would happen next time James over-estimated himself