A Lady Never Tells

Prologue

New York, 1910

A young girl named Lillian was sitting on the couch in her grandmother’s parlor. Lillian listened as her grandmother read her the rules of being a perfect lady as she was sewing a tapestry. Lillian hated these etiquette lessons; she’d rather be out playing with her neighbor William. Whenever Lillian’s grandmother spoke these words of unending boredom, Lillian would usually think of her parents.

Lillian’s parents, Marie and John were dearly loved. Lillian admired her mother for her personality and her beauty. Marie was tall, blond, and thin. Every night before bed, Marie would sing to Lillian. Her father was an incredibly brave man. John never backed down from anything that he deemed important to him. John loved his wife and daughter dearly.

When Lillian was six years old, her families’ house caught fire. Only Lillian was able to get out because Marie was heavily pregnant with her second child. John tried to carry Marie, but falling debris got into the way.

Now Lillian lived with her wealthy grandmother just outside of New York City. She had made a best friend, William. Every once in a while Lillian would receive a letter from her mother’s brother, Uncle Thomas. Since Lillian’s father was deceased, she looked up to Thomas to replace the void of having a father figure in her life.

“Lillian, have you heard a single word that I have been saying?” Grandmother said suddenly.

“Oh, I’m afraid that my mind was somewhere else. I’m truly sorry,” Lillian said politely.

“I’d dare say that your mind goes somewhere else a lot. So, since you weren’t listening very well I won’t repeat myself. Take only one piece of advice. A lady never tells,” she said wisely.

“Yes Grandmother,” Lillian said intently.

A lady never tells, Lillian thought as Grandmother stood up from her chair and walked away from the parlor. A lady never tells what?