Chapter Nineteen

"Grace!" Noah shoves me so hard I almost roll off the bed. "Grace, wake up!"

"It's the middle of the night" I groan half asleep, throwing my head under the pillow. "Go away."

"Grace the hospital just called me."

I sit up so fast I head-butt Noah and send the blankets flying everywhere. "What happened? What did they say? Is he okay? Is he still breathing? Please tell me he's okay Noah because-"

"Grace" Noah grips my shoulders. "Shutup for one second and listen to me."

I nod silently, the anxieties killing me. Hospitals never ring this early in the morning, something big has happened.

"Xavier's breathing without the oxygen tubes" Noah smiles widely and I return it, sighing with relief, he's okay. He's getting better. "Want to know what else?" His grip on me tightens. "They think he's waking up."

I freeze completely, Xavier's waking up?

I squeal so loudly I'm amazed it doesn't break the windows, throwing my arms around Noah and squeezing him so tightly I'm amazed he can still breathe properly. "Noah!" I can't stop smiling "Oh my-" I can't even speak.

Noah's still smiling, I know he's just as excited as I am. "They said we can come up now as long as we don't stay for too long, I'll let you get changed and I'll meet you outside."

I can't stop grinning, throwing a pair of yoga pants on and one of Xavier's hoodies, I basically fly down the stairs, not even waiting for Noah as I climb in the car.

"Between you and Xavier, I'm never going to make it to 30" Noah chuckles as he shakes his head, the 10 minutes to the hospital are the longest 10 minutes of my life.

The two of us power walk so quickly it's basically a sprint, freezing when we see the nurse again. Over the past weeks I've learnt a lot more about her, she's much nicer than I thought she would be.

"I just wanted to tell you both some things before we get to his room" She explains, Noah and I look at each other - this can't be good. "Xavier is awake but he's had a large amount of pain killers and he's been asleep for a long time so he's very confused and disorientated, don't talk to him about anything that will confuse him any more or make him stress anymore than he already is."

We both nod silently as we follow her.

"He's been asking for you since he woke up" She smiles at me, Noah squeezes my hand tightly, he's smiling at me too. "The only sentences I've got out of him have had something to do with you."

I blush slightly as we follow her, I'm just glad he's okay.

"Why did he suddenly wake up?" I ask and she frowns.

"We don't know that yet, we have to run some test on him and then we'll be able to tell you. For now, let's just be grateful he's awake."

She pauses outside his door "I think it's the best that one of you go in first, it would be best if it was you Noah because he's known you for longer. You can get Grace in a few minutes once we know he can handle it."

Noah looks at me unsurely but I smile at him. "Go, I don't mind."

He disappears into the room with the nurse and I wait outside quietly. My heart doesn't stop pounding, I'm sure everyone around me can hear it and it's a decent 10 minutes before the nurse opens the door to look at me.