Chapter 1

It was a cloudless night. I was on my way to my bed that was in the middle of the surrounding forest. Being an omega has it's drawbacks. I'm not allowed to be in the pack house for more than four hours at a time. There is a tiny chip inside of me somewhere that makes sure I follow all of the rules. If I break any rules for any reason, I'm put through extreme torture. It's something I do not even wish upon my worst enemy.

Anyways, I was making my way to my bed. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, but when I got to my bed, I saw my brother, Dean, sitting on the ground near where I sleep. I don't have an actual bed. I sleep on leaves with a blanket I received as a birthday present when I was 5. The omega before me left it for me before she died. It surprisingly still keeps me warm at night.

"Hello, brother." I say when I am close enough to him. He finds it annoying when I talk to him from a distance. So do most of the pack members.

"What did I say about calling me that?"

"Right. I'm sorry, sir. It won't happen again." He also hates it when I call him brother. I forgot. I jump a little when I feel a tiny shock. The chips knows when I do anything wrong. Anything.

"I don't believe you. But that's not why I'm here." I nod slowly. Nobody ever comes to visit me. Why is he here? "I'm supposed to update your chip." It's then I notice the little syringe in his hand. "You have three new rules." I nod again as he explains my rules. "First, you have to be out of the pack house for at least fifteen minutes before you can enter again." Before I just had to be outside for five minutes. Before that it was one minute. "Second, you can't eat more than once a day." I nod again. Before I could eat one full meal and a snack. "Lastly, you are not allowed to be in the same room as the alpha. Unless he allows it." That's odd. I've never had any rules about the alpha before. I just wasn't supposed to look him the eyes but that's out of respect.

"Yes, sir." I respond as he injects the transmitter into my arm. I'm used to it, so I don't even flinch.

"Go to sleep. You have another early morning, tomorrow." I nod and lay on my makeshift bed. "The carnival is coming to town. You have to help set it up tomorrow. After your daily chores." I nod as he leaves.

My brother is the beta. For my pack you aren't given a rank. When you are born, you're born with one. The pack can feel your rank and that's where you go. My brother was given beta, where as I was given omega. That's why my family has different ranks. I believe my pack is the only pack that is this way. Most of the other packs are born into their rank. Like if you have alpha parents you'll be an alpha. With my pack you can have alpha parents and be an omega. It's weird but that's the way fate works.

I fall asleep quickly and dream of life with a mate. I dream of dates and marriage and kids. Every rank gets a mate. Most omegas get rejected though. But that doesn't mean they all do. I can only hope my mate is understanding and cares enough about me that he won't reject me.

The next morning I awoke to my usual alarm. The pain of not waking up before 5. This morning I awoke with the moon still out. I smile and snuggle with my blanket. I can watch the sunrise. I look east to find the sun rising. It's so beautiful to see all the pretty colors. It's the best part of my day.

When the sun was fully up, I make my way to the pack house. Nobody is awake yet, so I'm able to make breakfast in peace. It's the only meal I get to myself. I'll be eating at noon today, since I only get to eat once.

While I'm frying the bacon, the alpha walks into the kitchen. I freeze, bracing myself for the pain that is bound to come. It doesn't come right away. It doesn't come until he's in the doorway about to exit. He freezes and sniffs the air. A low growl rumbles through his chest and I let out a low groan.