Chapter Five

Chapter Five

“So how’d the job hunting go?” George asked as we lay in bed together after a rather exciting three rounds of shower sex; I had to admit, the guy had amazing stamina and was incredibly skilled in that particular activity. But then again, this was George Dickson, he was bloody amazing at everything.

“George as much as I found the list very helpful, you know I hate it when you do that.” I said as I turned away from him slightly and craning my neck so I could look out the wall length windows, the rain was pouring harder now and the sky was a dark grey.

“Come on Em, you know I just want to help babe, why won’t you let me help?”

“We have this conversation every single time George, you know why. I’m already your charity case and I hate depending on you so much.” I said as I pierced him with my stare and cupped his cheek, “Just let me find a job by myself, please?”

George opened his mouth to protest but I quickly stopped his attempts at seducing me to change my mind as I kissed him with all the frustration I had in my body; and let me tell you, there was a lot of it. It was when his hands started to roam down my back that I could feel his head tilting up and down in a nodding motion.

“As you wish.” He whispered against my lips as I kissed his lips lightly again.

“Thank you, now come on I’m hungry.” I said with excitement in my voice and grabbing the silk robe that hung on the bed post and tightening it around my waist: it was yet another reminder of how much of a charity case I was, this was a gift from George when he’d been sent away on a business meeting with some big shots in Japan, some company called Nikon?

I could hear George shuffling around behind me, no doubt dressing himself as well as I pulled a pair of my favourite polka dot cotton panties on and walked out towards the kitchen. I looked up at the clock and noticed that it was three in the afternoon and I hadn’t eaten anything: I guess sex was keeping me pretty satisfied then.

The kitchen was basically my baby, out of everything in the whole condo, it was the only thing that actually felt even the least bit homey to me even after the five years I’d lived here. Cooking had always been something that eased my pain and hurt, it was a small escape, a safe harbour of some sorts from the hustle and bustle of everything else in my life. George had it renovated when I had seen the state of uncleanliness that the oven was in, don’t even get me started on the countertops.

“Do you miss them?” I turned my head away from the white marble countertop and looked at George, his bright blue eyes piercing into mine in a way that used to make my heart flutter from excitement.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I said in a clipped tone, as I usually did whenever he asked me about my past. Only Joey knew about my past and the reasons for which I had to be taken under George’s wing, and it was damn well going to stay that way.

“Em, I need you to tell me. For god’s sake it’s been five fucking years and you’re still going to refuse to tell me about them? Don’t you think I deserve to at least know who they are or where you’re from?” He was gripping my wrist in his hand now, his eyes burning with mixed emotions.