Chapter 11

song of the chapter: hello// adele

Monday.

Typically, I hate Monday with a burning passion, but I felt happy today. I had friends and people were actually starting to like me. Well, not necessarily like me, but start to less hate me. My teachers became more comfortable around me too, which is a good thing, in a way. I had great teachers.

"Ken!" I heard Tayah yell from down the hall. I turned around and started to walk towards her. She ran up to me with a sleek white envelope in her hand.

"This," she said, slightly out of breath.

"This what?" I asked, taking it from her. It was really heavy. My name was written on it in meat, black pen. The envelope looked like it was ready to burst open.

"What you gotta do is take it to lunch with you right now. I'll give you the signal, and you'll open it up. Okay? And while you are opening it, try not to be scared. It's a tradition we must uphold. Got it?"

"I think so," I replied, laughing a little. "See you soon." I waved off to her and continued to my locker to get my lunch bag.

I went to my new usual spot at the lunch table in the cafeteria. Tayah smiled and nodded her head. That was my cue to open up the envelope. I tore it open and read it out loud.

"Dearest McKenna Jones,

Are you ready? Next Friday, we have something BIG planned for you. It's going to be a LONG night, so make sure you are prepared. Meet up with Stuart Effer in your next period for more details. Remember: There is no turning back now."

I raised an eyebrow and read the letter to myself again. All my friends were dying laughing in their seats.

"Okay, just don't be freaked out," Claire told me. "It's just something that usually happens. New kid comes and there's a party. Stuart is basically home alone twenty-four seven, so he throws the party."

I nodded, but I couldn't help feeling creeped out. Lunch was almost over, since we got no time to eat. I would have to go and talk to him. I think I've seen Stuart once or twice. He was cute, but not the type that you would die for. He seemed a little shy, but like a cool guy.

I finished my lunch and the bell rang. I wiped my mouth and got up out of my seat to exit the cafeteria. Tayah was babbling away, while I was pretending to listen. I think she said stuff about Stuart, but I didn't care.

When I put away my stuff, I started to walk to gym. While I was walking, I bumped into Annastasia. "Sorry," I muttered, quickly walking away.

"Wait, McKenna, come back!" She called. I stopped in my tracks and turned around. "Hey," I said casually. "What do you need?" I gave her a fake smile.

"Oh, nothing. I just wanted to tell you Stuart's a nice guy. But I'm still surprised that you have a New Kid Party dedicated to you. That's quite appealing."

"Oh, really?" I replied. "Why is it so surprising? I'm sure you got worse people than me that still got their New Kid Party or whatever." I could feel my blood starting to boil, but I stopped myself before things got worse. "But it doesn't matter. I'll go talk to Stuart now."