Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Good Morning! Well, Actually, Bad Morning.

Allison's POV

"Morning!" I called as I walked through the kitchen, dressed fashionably in a zebra bathrobe covering my stain pajamas I had just changed into when I woke up.

Several people are seated at the kitchen counter and even more are chatting at the dining room table. I poured myself a cup of coffee and searched the fridge for something edible. I settled on some milk and a donut. I grabbed the paper from the front door and settled in the familiar couch in the living room next to the old couple I met last night who were watching the news and sipping orange juice. My parent's chef, Annie, flitted around the room refilling cups and offering breakfast dishes. I waved her over and she smiled down at me. "Would you like something to eat?"

"No, thanks, I was just wondering what that amazing smell is!" I inhaled deeply and detected a faint hint of maple syrup.

Annie smiled and held out a plate. "My famous blueberry waffles. They're amazing, your father just loved them." She realized what she had said and covered her mouth. "Oh, I'm so sorry! I-"

I held up a hand. "It's fine, Annie, really. Actually, I'd love some waffles, thanks." I took the plate and she walked away, glancing at me apologetically. Wow, I was really getting tired of all the apologies of people who mention my parents. What do they think a funeral is for? But I can't complain, so far everything had gone according to plan. Their plan, that is.

Simon entered the living room smiling and holding a plate full of waffles. When he saw me he grinned and rushed over to sit on the couch next to me. "Good morning!"

"Morning," I replied sleepily. I took a tentative bite of the waffle and my mouth exploded with blueberry goodness. I smiled to myself and took a sip of coffee. Simon looked sideways at me.

"Good waffles, eh?"

"Yeah, they're really good! I see you like them," I replied, eyeing his tall stack.

He shifted in his seat and glanced guiltily at the plate. "What? I'm hungry!" I laughed and he smiled. "You have a nice laugh." 

"Thanks." What an awkward thing to say! 

"So, how'd you sleep? I don't like those beds, no offense."

"None taken, it's not my house. And I guess I slept okay, it was just a really long night." Simon nodded and I continued. "I miss Connor, is all. I'm sure you know what that's like."

He didn't reply, didn't even nod, so I took another bite of my waffles. They were seriously good, I'd have to find Annie and get another one. "I guess," he said after a while. "I just never thought you'd actually marry him. And be happy. You used to hate him, back when we went to high school together."

I shrugged and avoided his gaze. "I don't know, we just kind of fell in love. Again, I'm sure you know what that's like."

He nodded again and tried to meet my eyes. "Yeah, I do. Not with Lacey or anything, but I think I know what love is like."

I smiled. "Right? It's hard to be away from him, and Cameron and Seth." When I look over, I see Simon raising his eyebrows. "My kids. Cameron's almost four and Seth is about four months. They're pretty adorable. I'd show you a picture, but my wallet is in my room."

Seth grinned. "Are they the little kids in that picture above the television?" I glanced up to the TV and remembered the portrait my parents got a few months ago. 

"Yeah, that's them!"

"They're so cute! Cameron looks just like you."

"Yeah, and Seth looks like Connor," I said, remembering that I had promised to call them. "Actually, I'll be right back, I just remembered something." I got up quickly and ran to the bedroom to grab my phone. I speed dialed home and waited while it rang nearly four times. At last, Connor picked up.