Chapter 7

Chapter 7: His Cheating Mind

Mark's POV

I paced through Cameron's room and she glared at me from her bed. "Why are you walking to nowhere?"

I turned and watched Ryan sitting behind her pulling her hair up into a bun. "I'm sorry, honey, I'm just thinking. But you look very pretty!"

She grinned at me and leaned against Ryan's lap. "I know! Thank you Uncle Ryan."

"You're very welcome. So, should we go and get Seth ready?" She nodded and they jumped off the bed. Ryan glanced back at me as he left the door. "You okay?"

I nodded and followed him. "Yeah, I'm just worried. Where the heck is Connor? He didn't even say when he left, and it's been an hour! We leave in five minutes! He can't just-"

"Mark. Calm down. He'll be here, okay? I'm sure he just snuck off to see Allison or something." He paused and turned his head toward the window. "Actually, I think I hear his car. Why don't you go see if that's him and I'll watch Cameron, okay?"

I smiled and rushed out of the room, calling out a thank you over my shoulder. Racing to the front door, I threw it open and paused to collect myself. Connor pulled his car to the front walkway and parked it. He got out looking suave in a tight t-shirt and dark sunglasses. My eyes widened as I gawked at his muscles and perfectly rumpled hair. God, he looked good.

Woah, did I just think that? Stop it! Now! He's Allison's husband for God's sake! Connor walked up to me and I crossed my arms in front of my chest. "And where have you been? Did you think you could just run off and not even think about the consequences?"

He smirked. "No, Mom. And don't cross your arms like that, you look like a chick."

I quickly put my arms down and glared at him, feeling the heat rise to my face. "Well, where did you go?"

"Allison's house."

"Oh. Oh. Right, sorry."

Connor shook his head. "No, it wasn't like that. I mean, it was, until stupid Simon had to come and interrupt us."

"Simon? From high school? I remember him! He was really nice, I sat behind him in Algebra."

Connor grunted. "Nice? We must not be thinking about the same person. This guy was a jerk. He- he practically told me he and Allison had a thing. Or still do, I don't know."

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, come on! You really don't believe she would cheat on you, do you?" He didn't reply, and when I tried to read his eyes, they were blocked by the sun. But I could swear I saw a tear. "Connor, she loves you. Allison would never, ever cheat on you, I promise. And if something had happened, she would have told you. What did he say, anyway?"

Connor walked the length of the porch and sat on a rocking chair. "Well, I had to climb that tree outside Allison's window so that no one would see me, right? And then I was obviously covered in leaves and Simon said the other side of the tree is easier to climb up on, like he knew. He was all superior and mean about it."

I let his words sink in for a moment before I walked over to sit by him. As I lowered myself onto the adjacent chair, my knee brushed his thigh and I shivered involuntarily. Connor saw and moved away slightly, but I pretended nothing happened. "What makes you think he wasn't bluffing to get inside your head?"

Connor shrugged and I saw a glimpse of vulnerability exit through his tough exterior. "I don't know. I just have this awful feeling, you know?" 

I sighed and resisted the urge to put my arm around him. "Do you want me to talk to her?"