Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Decorating for Death and Dealing with Seperation

Allison's POV

"Just put the orchids over there by the fireplace," I told the florist holding the flowers. She nodded and I watched her walk away, gently wiping my hand across my slightly damp forehead. All day people have been in and out, getting ready for the memorial service here. The funeral is tomorrow, but all the businesses are closed on Sundays so we're decorating the house today- or at least we're trying to.

Connor walked up behind me and snaked his arms around my waist, leaning his head on my shoulder and kissing me on the neck playfully. I giggled softly and turned around. He reached down to cup my face in his hands and my lips to his. I pulled away after a moment, suddenly self-conscious of the people around us and blushed. "You okay?" he asked, his face red as well.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired, is all."

He smiled at me and I walked back to the dining room to check the seating arrangements. Connor followed me and held out a clipboard. "Oh! You found it!"

He smiled. "Of coure, it was under the pile of crap- I mean, papers- in the music room. Do you still need it?"

"Yes! Thank you so much!" I scanned the list quickly and noticed a few names that were missing from the table. As I walked over to make a few extra name cards, I glanced at Connor. "So? Let's go over the plan again, okay?"

He nodded and straightened up like a soldier. "Out of town guests' flights land tonight and they'll get here between eight and eleven. We'll have food ready for them, but we won't eat with them. Tomorrow morning, the chef will have breakfast ready and then we'll all get ready for the funeral. We'll go to the church, do all that fun stuff, and then go to the cemetary for the burial. Then we'll come back here for the memorial. It's all day, and then the guests leave on Monday morning. Right?"

I smiled and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Yes. Nice job, you've been studying. Yesterday you couldn't even remember what time their flights got in."

He smirked and shook his head. "Don't remind me. But who is coming tonight? Do we have a list for that?" I reached under a few papers and pull a stack from the clipboard. He took it tentatively and scanned the list ."There must be twenty people here!"

"Twenty-six, and we're using my parent's house, too."

"Well, who's letting them in?" I glared at him and he recoiled slightly. "Geez, you look like my mother!"

I rolled my eyes and walked over to where he was standing. "I am! You're staying here and I"m staying there tonight. Then we'll all meet at the church tomorrow! I thought you already knew that!"

He shook his head and I groaned. "Sorry! But really? You're not staying here?"

I smiled sadly and kissed his nose. "I'm sorry, but i have to go. We can't just leave them all alone in that unfamiliar house!"

"Sure we can!"

I snorted and pulled him into my arms. He relaxed a little but I heard him take a deep breath. "But, that'll be the first time that you won't be here since we got married."

I nodded. "It'll be okay, it's just one night." Connor doesn't reply and I lean against him, breathing in his smell and trying to remember what it feels like to be in his arms before i have to leave him. Even if it is just for one day.

**

"Welcome! Thank you so much for coming, I know it would mean a lot to my parents."

I ushered whoever it was through the door and let them envelop me in a hug. It was a couple, each with blonde hair and about a foot taller than me but about the same age. The woman was dressed in a simple black dressed that hugged her hourglass figure while the man wore a fancy suit with gold cufflinks. "I'm so sorry for your loss," the woman said, laying a hand on my shoulder. "Where are we sleeping?"