Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Pushing Up Dasies... Eventually

Connor's POV

I don't know who the heck Aunt Morgan is, but Allison is seriously freaked out that she's here. I'd help Allison, but she hasn't let me within twenty feet of her since she got here. So, I've decided to get a different opinion. 

Speak of the devi, there she goes now, on her way to the parking lot probably. I chased after her and reached out to tap her on the shoulder. Kim spun around and smiled brilliantly... until she saw it was me. Then that smile disappeared. "Oh. Hey, Connor. I thought you were Allison."

"Great to see you too, Kim." She rolled her eyes, and I continued. "Look. I need you to tell me something."

"You want to know who Morgan is and why she's here, right?" Kim replied quickly. I stared at her open-mouthed and shocked until she smiled. "I figured you'd come eventually. No way Allison would tell you."

"Tell me what?"

"That her aunt almost killed her."

My eyes widened and I leaned against the wall. "And you brought her here. Because you want to kill Allison...?"

Kim frowned. "No! Of course not! She didn't intentionally try to kill her, it was an accident. She was eight, she fell over the side of a boat, and her aunt didn't go in to get her. It sounds stupid, but it was a big deal to her. And not to mention that her aunt is the most obnoxious person ever. She'll be here for a while, believe me. But I had to bring her here. She was my only chance to get back to Allison. No way would those stupid bouncers outside let me in without a relative. Aunt Morgan was the only one that wasn't in the hospital or senile. Well, senile enough to be in a nursing home, anyway."

"Allison's not going to get anywhere near you, you know. She'll kick her aunt out and you along with her, and you'll just go back to living your miserable little life just like before."

I tried to walk away, satisfied with what I'd learned, but Kim pushed me against the wall. "No! Please, Connor, I'm sorry! Sorry for everything I've ever done to Allison. She was my best fiend, I have to make it up to her. I know she doesn't want me here, but... I had to see her. It's been so long, and it was her birthday. I just couldn't stand not seeing her."

She let go of the tight hand she still had clamped on my arm and looked away guiltily. I cleared my throat and glanced around the room for Allison. "Look, I'm sorry, okay? I just... But I really don't think Allison can ever forgive you for what you did. I have to go, and I think it would be best if you did, too."

I walked away quickly, not bothering to check if she took my advice. I wove my way though the crowd of people charging slowly to the parking lot, all the while seraching for Allison. I found her sitting on the steps behind the church, watching the workers load the close the doors to the hearse. I slowed my pace as I neared her and slowly lowered myself onto the step next to her. She didn't flinch as I put an arm around her. 

"You okay?" I asked after she didn't say anything.

Allison scoffed and I immediately regretted my choice of words. "Yeah, just great. My parents are about to be buried six feet under the ground, but I'm fine."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I know that you're having a horrible, horrible week. The worst week ever, actually. I just wanted to make sure you wreen't freaked about your aunt and Kim or anything. I'll take care of them."

"You sound like a bad mafia movie," she commented dryly. I didn't say anything, but a smile pried at my lips. "Look," she said after a moment of silence. "You're right. I am freaked. But there's nothing you need to worry about, okay? Right now, I'd really just like my husband to be there for me while I bury my parents." Her voice cracked on the last word and I pulled her towards me. She rested her haed on my shoulder and I watched a tear fall down her cheek.