Chapter 14

Chapter 14: That's Gonna Hurt in the Morning

Mark's POV

"Allison! Oh my God, what happened?" Connor called desperately from the second story window. Everyone in the yard looked up and gasped at this exciting turn of events. Allison lay unconscious in the pile of mud, unaware of her husband's question. Kim threw down the microphone and runs inside. 

The air grew colder as the sun sets. A slow, thin fog has begun to slither through the yard. The guests should have been driving home by now, or at least inside the house. But no one moved for fear of missing any bit of drama in our so called "brilliant" plan. I looked around for Ryan, my eyes quickly misting over with tears of regret. How could I be so stupid? Allison is my best friend, I should've never, ever listened to Kim. 

Abandoning all pretenses, I rushed to Allison's side and crouched beside her. My khaki-clad knees sank deep into the mud but I don't care. I gently shook her shoulder while quietly calling her name. "Allison? Allison, please wake up. Oh God, don't be dead. Allison! Allison, please!"

Her eyelids fluttered. I drew a quick breath and pressed my ear against her chest. Good thing I'm gay, or that could be really awkward. I heard her heartbeat, strong and steady, ring through my ears and sighed with relief. I put my hand to my back pocket in search of my phone, but remembered that I gave it to Ryan earlier. Cursing, I pulled Allison's head into my lap and search her face for any sign she may be waking up, all the while praying that nothing bad has nappened. Nothing that could really hurt her.

***

Kim's POV

I threw the microphone down and rush into the house, ignoring the whispers from the crowd below. Where was Simon? He was suppossed to keep Connor busy! Oh, well. If you want something done right, do it yourself. I dashed up the stairs, taking them two at a time, and turned the corner into the nursery. There's Connor, leaning over the window. Quietly, I tip-toed over to where he's standing. Just as he turns to run downstairs, I pushed my weight against him and slam him into the wall. 

Connor gasped and crashed against the widow pane. "Kim?" he breathed. I smiled sweetly and put my face close to his.

"Happy to see me, love?" I rubbed my cheek against his and inhale, drawing in his sweet scent of expensive cologne.

He flinched and I tried not to show the hurt on my face. "What happened to Allison?" he growled; for a moment, I'm actually scared. Then I remember that I'm pinning him to the wall and grin.

"Oh, nothing. She just got a nice serving of justice. All these years of pushing her friends around like they're worth nothing finally caught up to her, I suppose. But don't worry, she's not your concern right now. It's just you... and me," I whispered, backing away. I slammed the door closed behind me and locked it. Before he could, I threw myself into his arms. He put his hands on my hips to catch me as I shoved my tongue into his mouth. 

He kissed me for a moment before trying to throw me to the ground. I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck and slid off my dress, exposing my lace push-up bra and matching panties. His eyes widened momentarily. While he's distracted, I unbuttoned his polo like an expert and threw it next to my dress on the ground. I jumped down and pushed him onto the couch next to the empty crib.

Connor's head slammed against the wall and he rubbed it, dazed. I jumped on top of him and kissed his neck, his cheek, his lips, fighting him the whole time.

"Kim! Gerroff,"  he mutterd, his speech slurred.

I smiled and pulled my face away. "Connor, Allison's with Mark. She's not going to catch us, you have nothing to worry about. Don't pretend you never had a thing for me. Just enjoy this, okay? And then I'll be gone forever. You don't even have to do anything- I'll do all the work."