Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Reaching a Decision is Harder than it Sounds.

Allison's POV

I expected Connor to take the sensible route, and say we had no choice. To say that we needed the money desperately and that it wasn't that bad. But for once, I was taking the responsible approach. And Connor was the one who needed talking down.

He had this crazy idea in his head that we would be sacrificing our dignity if we listened to them. "Look," I said after half an hour of arguing, rubbing my temples slowly. "I really, really get what you're saying. But you and I both know that we need that money."

"Oh, really? Well, it could be the last money we ever make! What law firm is going to take me seriously when they hear that my parents in law dind't even trust me to plan their funeral? They could think I forced them to merge the law firms, that this whole marriage thing is a sham. Do you want that to happen?"

I shake my head and leave my hand on the top of my head. "Of course not, but do you really think that could happen?"

Connor sighed and rested his head against the back of his chair. "It could! We have no idea what could happen."

"Connor! Listen to yourself! That isn't going to happen. And have you thought about how long it would take for us to work off our college loans on our own? Years! We'd be deep in debt, lose our home and cars, and maybe start living off the streets!"

He smiled a little and took my hand. I was sitting on the floor, leaning against the table and facing his chair. He was sitting in the brown recliner and holding a mug in his hand. "We would get through it. I just don't think that this should happen."

"We don't have a choice! You heard your dad!"

"My dad doesn't know squat." He took a drink out of his mug and shuddered. "And besides, what would everyone say?"

"We could just tell them we were honoring them." The words sounded stupid as they came out of my mouth.

Sure enough, Connor smirked. "Yeah, right, because they'd believe that. We'd be marked by this!"

"Marked? Isn't that a little harsh? Please, Connor, look at this sensibly. Mom and Dad wanted us to do this, and they've got our hands tied. Besides, it could be interesting, seeing all the old relatives again. What's so wrong with that?"

Connor started to respond, then changed his mind and took a drink from his mug. He swallowed once, winced, and swallowed again.

I looked at him, concerned and tried to see what was in the mug. "Um,Connor? What are you drinking?"

His eyes flitted away and he set the mug on the table away from me. "Water." He coughed and took another drink. When his eyes met mine again, I noticed his pupils were dilated. Standing up quickly, grabbed the mug off the table and took a sip. I gagged and spat the dark liquid into the sink.

"Coffee? And vodka, I'm guessing?" When he didn't answer, I knew. "You promised me you wouldn't do this."

"I just needed something to help me focus!"

I shook my head and threw the rest of the drink into the sink. "Don't give me that! You're drunk, that's why you're not making any sense!

"I'm not drunk! That was my first drink today, okay? Just chill!"

"Don't you tell me to chill, Connor Brian Danielson! Your'e the one drinking at four o'clock in the afternoon! While your two kids sleep just a few rooms away and you talk about your parent-in-laws' funerals! What is wrong with you?"