Chapter 4- Devlyn Blackthorn- The Problem

Hey, sorry for the long wait... I have been sick :(

Anyway, I dedicate this chapter to uzmarium bcoz I love her!

Enjoy xx

Plz vote and comment!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Your Grace." Miss Valentine walked in and curtisied.

"Lady Valentine." I took her hand and gave it a kiss. "How have you been?"

"Fine and you, Your Grace?" 

"Fine as well. Thank you." I smiled. "I need to talk to you." I stated after an awkward period of silence.

"I figured that much."

"Yes. Can we go somewhere more...private?" I glanced towards the maids hovering in the background trying to catch as much of this conversation as possible.

"How about a walk in the garden?" she offered with understanding.

"That would be wonderful." I offered her my hand. "Shall we?"

"We shall." hesitatingly she place her delicate hand on mine.

A vehement spark shivered through my body causing my heart to beat rapidly. She must have felt it too because she immediately snatched her hand back and stared at me with shock filled eyes.

Eyes that one can stare at forever. I shook my head to clear my mind. I can not and must not cross that territory. This is not about me. This is about Nicholas, my younger brother. Besides this does not necessarily imply that we have a connection. It might have just been a coincidence...I must be very tired. 

Whatever it was, it should not happen again. It might give her wrong ideas. Admit it, you are scared that you might get those 'ideas' yourself, my mind whispered and I sighed in defeat. 

"Um..." she cleared her throat completely oblivious to my inner turmoil.

"Uh- after you." I took a step back to let her pass and followed her, keeping a good distance.

"The Valentine Palace was built many countries ago by Edward Valentine I for his twelve gorgeous mistresses. They were rumoured to be the twelve most beautiful in the world at that time. Many painters tried to recreate the artistry of these women on an easel but failed miserably. Only Austin Grande was able to capture their true refinement in a painting- or so it is said." Dakota explained as I eyed a painting that had caught my attention with curiosity.

Indeed, there were about twelve women looking back at me with perfect smiles. They were all draped in diamonds and other precious stones. They were exquisite but there was something in their eyes. A hint of something familiar yet something completely unknown to me. 'A woman's eyes are the windows to her soul.' From what I could read, the mistresses' eyes depicted something totally contradicting their smiles. They-

"They had everything- beauty, jewels, suitors, a huge palace- everything...yet they had nothing." Dakota spoke my mind out loud looking thoughtful herself. "They were not loved like they should have been and that made them miserable. A baby- regardless of its gender- is still an innocent baby. It is nether the mother's nor the baby's fault if it turns out to be a girl. Why should they suffer? If anything, it is the man's fault! Men believe we, women, are of a weaker sex but that is not true. We can do anything a man can but with more sophistication and grace. We-- " Dakota broke off startled. As if noticing me for the first time.