Chapter 3- Dakota Valentine- The Proposition

Awesome cover by Tessa!!

Enjoy xx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Marriage?!" I exclaimed dumbfounded.

"Yes, King Devlyn wants your hand in marriage to his younger brother-- " Serena informed me with a bored look on her perfectly sculpted face. A face very familiar to mine.

It had been a week since the ball. Since the first and the last time I saw King Devlyn. I groaned not believing that this was actually happening.

"But sister, I have no intention of getting involved in a relationship let alone marriage!" I cried.

"So?" she crossed her arms around her chest looking annoyed. "Things change."

"For me they don't Serena. They mustn't at all cost." then I whispered softly. "I must not let other people near me. I have caused enough damage already-- "

"Enough!" she sighed angrily. "No matter what you do, you cannot change your fate! You are bound to encounter some more bad luck even if you live like a hermit!"

"I cannot change my fate... true. But I can try at the least." tears filled my eyes. "I don't want to hurt anyone anymore... I don't have the strength to experience loosing someone precious to me again..."

"You don't have to." Serena smirked.

"What?" I blinked in confusion.

"You don't necessarily have to love him." she grinned as if that was the most logical solution and I just shook my head. "Look Dakota,” she sighed and sat down beside me on my bed. "I love you. You are my baby sister... I want you to be happy."

"I am. Like this... on my own." my words sounded as empty as I felt.

"Let us look at it another way." she took a deep breath. "Take this marriage as a mission."

"E-Excuse me? "

"You have to kill Devlyn Blackthorn. The only way you'd be close enough to do so, would be when you live with him."

"What??"

"You can leave Prince Nicholas- his brother- once you succeed. He is a womaniser anyway. I am sure that he wouldn't mind your sudden absence from his life. You have to be with him only for a while. You just have to win the King's trust and literally stab him in the back when the time is right-- "

"Why?" I cut in helplessly.

"We-David and I- want to put your bad luck to some good use." she answered nervously and my eyes narrowed into thin slits. David... yes, David. Only he could up with something this sick and cheap. "Think of it Dakota, you could be doing Oasis a big favor."

"Favor?! How is that? If I were to stain my hands with the blood of the King of Seacrest, wouldn't they start a war with us? Wouldn't they defeat us?! Serena, I know the condition of Oasis' army. We are not ready for a battle!" I got up and paced restlessly about the room.

"I know! And that is exactly why King Devlyn should die!" Serena threw her hands up in the air helplessly.

"Why? It doesn't make any sense!"

"He wants Oasis!"

"What..." I stopped moving and stared at my sister with complete astonishment.

"He wants to take over this land. It is part of his plan. David's spy confirmed that some days before his birthday ball. The King wants to 'expand' Seacrest. Oasis is part of his-- "