Chapter 1- Dakota Valentine- The Ball

Father! No!

Dakota!

"Father!" I gasped.

"My Lady...!" Maria shook me a little.

"Hmnm.." I blinked open my eyes.

"Are you..alright?" 

"Absolutely." I lied and wipped away the sweat on my forhead with the back of my hand. I had that dream again. No, it was a reality that I dreamt of each night. It was a memory confined within my nightmares.

I looked around my room and its opulent contents to re-compose myself. The velvet draperies in a dark shade of purple. The grand chandelier with strings of diamonds and crystals twirled around it. The huge French styled windows. The magnificent king sized bed with expensive purple colored coverings. The never ending closet and en suite bathroom. The antique paintings and decorative ornaments. The soft yet firm sofa set with a low center table. The elegant dressing room with huge mirrors and several comfortable chairs. I let out a huge sigh. So beautiful yet so very excessive. I had occupied this room ever since I was born. The furniture and its upholstery changed as I grew up to accommodate my needs but this room was not where I belonged at least not where I wanted to belong. It was too much just for me. Now that Serena had moved to the Royal Palace with her new husband, the Valentine Palace seemed even more huge and intimidating.

"What time is it?" I concentrated on escaping my disturbing thoughts.

"It is 6 in the evening Lady Valentine."

"What?! It's late...I am running late!" I exclaimed.

"I am sorry My Lady. I thought that you were reading a book...we didn't know that you were asleep.", she looked at the fallen book on the floor. "Otherwise, we would've woken you up."

"Oh, it's alright. It was my fault. I should've seen the time." I bent down to pick up the book.

"No, Miss. Let me--" Maria protested and tried to reach the book first.

"It's fine. See." Fortunately, I got to it first. I put it on the study desk beside me and got up from the chair I was sitting on-- apparently, sleeping on too.

"Yes but you have to get ready for Prince David's birthday ball." she went into my closet and brought out a very gorgeous, strapless dress in a deep shade of violet, very similar to my eyes, with black embroidery on the edges. "Here you go." 

"Oh god, Maria. It's-It's beautiful" I gasped at the  perfected simplicity of the dress. "But where did it come from?"

"It's a gift from Sara Hudsen...the struggling young designer you helped." Maria smiled. "She designed it just for you."

"Oh" I smiled, completely touched by the gesture."It wasn't there when I checked in the morning. I thought that I was going to wear the black silk dress..."

"It arrived earlier this afternoon while you were out. Miss Hudsen wants you to wear it tonight, My Precious Lady." Maria urged on in a maternal way. "It's now yours, you deserve it."

"I...please thank Sara for her thoughtful gift with...hold on a second--"I went back into my closet and withdrew a big velvet box from one of the drawers and handed it to Maria. "--this. It's one of the necklaces I brought back with me from my trip to Seacrest."

"Like this one?" she touched the necklace hanging from her neck and smiled. "This is a very beautiful necklace and I can't than you enough for it--"

"You don't have to Maria. You are the closest to being my mother. In fact, you are the only mother I have ever known and I appreciate all that you've done for me. This necklace is nothing compared to the gratitude I feel towards you."