Gifted: Chapter Five

Seyca looked at her from the window. She was perfect for him. He hoped that she’d be his soul mate, that she’d be the one. She was so graceful when hunting the afternoon. Sometimes he’d mess up to see her flash by him and catch the prey easily and then hand it to him. Her long brown hair, messy with her ribbons that she tied in one for every year, flop in her face as she smiled at him. Not realizing he fumbled just to see her long legs move.

   When he felt small hands grab his arm, he thought it was her, but she was still there looking at him from where she sat with the council. He looked at who it was and laughed. Ailuj.

   Ever since Seyca had been moving closer to Ithabita, Ailuj was trying to get in between something that he didn’t even have yet. She seemed to always want what Ithabita had or wanted. Seyca was pretty sure Ithabita didn’t even want to be more then friends, so what was Ailuj doing?

   Not that she was bad to look at. She was amazing. Her body curvy, but she was a little shorter then he liked. Plus she was annoying, always talking about how she did this, she did that, Ithabita did this, Ithabita did that. She was a beautiful, little, Ithabita clone. But she just wasn’t Ithabita.

   “C’mon Seyca,” she whispered pressing her small body to his and pushing him away from the window. “Let’s do something.”

   “Like what?” he questioned as she turned him around.

   “I’ve got a few things in mind,” she smiled and he just looked at her. As if.

***

Ailuj clung to him through out the whole night of celebration. He sat disgusted that she was still attached to him. She just talked about herself and Ithabita, who was just so great. Like you need to tell me, he thought. She’d tucked herself onto his lap and just kept talking. It wasn’t even things he needed to know. He didn’t care about her excuses to keep him near her. He wanted to be near Ithabita. Who sat across from him with Airama and Hasmot.

   But she was clearly ignoring him. Not that he knew why. Hasmot flashed him a smile and then his voice slipped into Seyca’s head.

   ‘She’s so jealous,’ his brother’s voice told him.

   ‘What?’

   “She likes you. Gosh, it’s so obvious. And you not getting it, but whining about how you didn’t know what you did wrong. You didn’t pay attention.’ Hasmot explained and then turned to tell Airama something.

    ‘I’m sorry I’m not the one who can read minds,’ Seyca said as Ailuj went on about what she did that day.

   ‘Oh yes. Sorry I forgot you were the little boy with the sad power of moving things with his mind.’

   ‘Yeah. Still doesn’t help hunting though.’

   He saw Hasmot chuckle and Airama look at him weird. Ithabita was gone though, while Seyca had been communicating with his brother.

   ‘Hey, where’d she go?’

   Hasmot looked around. ‘Dunno. Better go find her.’ Hasmot gave a weak smile, he knew where she was, and he just didn’t want to tell Seyca.

   Damn. He pushed off Ailuj, who looked at him disdain. Then he moved away from the fire and walked around to the huts. He saw two figures retreating to Ithabita’s hut. He’d know her hut anywhere, he’d memorized where it was when he was sixteen. Of course that was when he had a crush on Ramy, who looked at him like he was a flea. Though Ithabita had been cute when she was thirteen.

   He hurried up to her hut and then went in.

   Ithabita was there with Havugan, to most girls the cutest guy in the village. They hadn’t noticed him come in, so he just snuck back out and ran to the forest. No wonder Hasmot hadn’t wanted to tell him. She was freaking getting him back. Making him jealous and it had worked.

***

He sat in a clearing in the forest on a tree stump. His head was in his hands as he leant forward. A thousand questions wandered through and across his head. Playing out little thoughts of what they might be doing right now. He shook his head. It was no good to think of things like that.

   He looked up at the sky and at the moon. It was already descending and he needed to get back to camp. To be support for Airama, he promised after all. So he got off his stump and looked around. So what if Ithabita wasn’t his soul mate, some other girl was for him in the village. He didn’t need to only keep his eye on one. So with his hopes up he went back to the village and sat beside Hasmot. Ithabita was already there, sitting cross-legged in front of Airama. They were holding each other’s hands with their eyes closed.

   ‘Sorry I didn’t tell you. I wasn’t even sure what they were doing. I’m still not even sure what they did. Ithabita’s learned how to close her mind off from me rather quickly.’ Hasmot said and Seyca just shook his head.

   ‘You’re not making another run for Ramy are you?’ Hasmot asked suddenly. Seyca ignored him and watched as Ithabita let go of Airama’s hands and then looked directly at him while she was doing part of the ritual. She looked away just as quickly and he felt a pang. He couldn’t even try to forget her now. She was so –

   ‘Seyca?’

   ‘No, Ramy won’t even look at me anymore,’ Seyca exaggerated and then looked at his brother. ‘But do you think I might have a slim chance with – ‘

   ‘No,’ Hasmot groaned and Seyca laughed. Ramy was by far the most beautiful girl in the camp, to most guys.

   ‘Seyca give it up. You two will just be starting something that might not even be there.’

   ‘What do you mean,’ Seyca questioned, but Hasmot shook his head. He knew everything. He knew how Ithabita felt about him, but he wasn’t even going to tell Seyca. It wasn’t fair.

   But deep down he knew what Hasmot was talking about. He wanted to make Ithabita jealous too, but that would lead her to do the same thing and round it would go. But he pushed that away and watched her slim body sit in front of Airama again. She was so beautiful.