Gifted: Chapter One

“Isn’t he just the cutest,” Ithabita sighed gripping the branch she sat on with both hands.

   Her friend Airama looked down at the ground. Two guys were passing beneath. Each wore tight leather pants that got looser around the bottom and boot that went over top up to the middle of their calves. One had on a tight leather and fabric tank top; he had a black leather strap looping diagonally around his right shoulder to his left hip around his torso. Attached to the bottom of the black strap was another belt around his waists. From it hung a gun and a knife was strapped around his boot. He had short, brown, tousled hair.

   The other guy beside him wore a linen brown tank and a mesh t-shirt over top. He also had a gun in his belt holster and a knife strapped to his boot. His hair was also brown and tousled, but it was also curly.

   They were talking animatedly, laughing softly. Ithabita stared down at the guy with the short hair.

   “Hmm,” Airama grunted. “Seyca is cute, but Hasmot is totally me.”

   They disappeared down the trail leading back to the village and Ithabita flipped upside down to hang from the branch by her legs.

   She wore tight leather pants that stayed tight all the way to her ankles like most girls in her village. Others wore cotton pants that only reached to their knees and very few wore dresses or skirts. She wore a tight, white, long sleeved linen shirt that had a slit from her elbow to her wrist so that it flared out and a brown leather corset over top. Hanging from her belt was also a gun and attached to her knee high, brown, leather boots was a knife. Her long brown hair, tasseled with ribbons, hung through the air.

   “Their twins though,” Ithabita replied.

   “If they’re twins, how can you like Seyca better?” Airama leaned over so that Ithabita saw her smiling.

   “I just can,” she replied.

   “Just like I can like Hasmot better.”

   Airama was a petite, fair skinned girl with bright blue eyes and long blonde, almost white hair. She wore pants and boots like Ithabita, but never carried a single weapon. She wore a green leather tank top with a slightly plunging neckline.

   “Ithabita!” someone called from the ground. Ithabita strained her neck and saw her older sister Ramy standing on the ground looking up at her. Her hands were on her hips and she was scowling, her beautiful face scrunched up in frustration. “Get down here!”

   Ithabita rolled her eyes and grabbed the branch with her hands, flipping her legs over her head and landing perfectly on her feet. Airama landed softly beside her.

   “What?” Ithabita asked.

   “What is exactly the question,” Ramy stated. Her wavy brown hair was tied loosely at the nape of her neck so it wouldn’t get in her blue eyes, which were searching hers intently. She wore the casual cotton pants and a tight fitting cotton brown tank top with a plunging neckline.

   “Amseul, Ursu, Gesa, and Blithazee are asking to see you.”

   “Why?” Ithabita asked confused. “I’m not even near the age yet.”

   “I know. But they want to talk to you. They won’t even tell me a thing.”

   “It’s probably nothing,” Airama said. Ramy looked at her wryly.

   “The council wouldn’t have called her if it were nothing,” Ramy explained as if talking to a small child.

   “Whatever. I’ll go see what they want,” Ithabita said before anything could escalate between her friend and sister.

   “Hurry,” Ramy ordered and left them.

   Airama rolled her eyes. “Gosh she’s so annoying.”

   Ithabita shrugged. “The council seems to like her.”

   “The council likes everyone,” Airama reassured her. “It’s probably nothing.”

   “I hope so.”

   Airama smiled at her. “Trust me, if anything, Amseul and Ursu are totally understanding.”

   Ithabita just nodded and they headed off to the village.