Gifted: Prologue

The world wasn’t ready for them –

Humanity wasn’t

   The houses lining the street cast a large, menacing shadows in the moonlight. She sat on the curb watching cars pass by and knowing what she had to do. She slipped out her cell phone and chose a number. It rang twice before it was answered.

They were born the same way as humans

By two humans

But they were enhanced

   “Hello?” the voice on the other end questioned.

   “Kelly, we need to get them out of here and away from this world. It’s going to happen again, and soon. They need to be safely away before it does,” she told her friend anxiously.

There were wars between them and humans

They won and humanity was erased –

From the face of the Earth

   There was a pause. “Are you certain?”

   Positive,” she whispered so gently she was surprised Kelly even heard her.

   “Alright. I’ll send out the message.”

But unlike the humans,

They hadn’t wanted it to go that far

They grieved for the lives they took and lost

      “Okay. I’ll call you when I get to the location.” She stood up from the curb. “Gerad will be at your house soon.

   “I’ll be waiting,” Kelly reassured.

   “Just stick to the plan.” She checked behind her and than slipped inside.

Yet their children were humans

And also afraid of them

They rebelled

   “Of course I will.” She heard Kelly take a breath. “And Elaine.”

   “Yes?”

   “Everything will work out.”

   “That’s not what I’m worried about. I’ll see you at the site. Goodbye.” Elaine shut her cell and walked down the hall away from the front door.

So they went into hiding

Hoping the next generation would finally bring,

Peace

   She turned to a room and inside was a crib like bed and a regular bed. A four old lay in the crib like bed and a seven year old fast asleep in the bed. A tall man, with shaggy brown hair and a scruffy beard, watched the girls sleep.

   “The plan’s in motion,” she muttered walking over to her husband. He wrapped an arm around her. “It’s time to send these beauties to a safer home.”

   “It’ll be alright,” Gerad assured her softly kissing her forehead.

Every night they hoped

Whispered into the night’s cool air

To let The Gifted and humans