Gifted: Chapter Two

"Airama will be of age in two days,” Amseul stated, his brown hair was tousled just like his younger brothers, Hasmot and Seyca. He wore pants like his younger brothers, with a belt and a gun, he also had a hunting knife strapped in it’s sheath to his boot. He wore a long brown vest that reached his knees; it was opened with no shirt underneath, showing his muscles.

   “I know,” Ithabita said curiously. Why’d they called her to talk about Airama?

   “Then you know that she will not be able to share anything about the journey?” he questioned.

   “Yes,” she replied not seeing why this was such a big deal.

   “You will not press her about anything,” Ursu said touching her husbands back. She was a small lady, with green eyes and red hair, that matched her forest green long sleeved shirt. It had a light brown leather tank top over it and she wore the usual pants with a gun and knife.

   “No I won’t,” Ithabita assured them. She already knew all the rules; she’d memorized them since they were first made. Airama and her used to talk about what it’d be like to finally have a power. She was two months younger then Airama therefore being left out for a little bit longer then she would’ve liked. But Airama said it would change nothing between them.

   But the rules stated that the journey was to be kept quiet. You needed to go through it yourself, to know what it truly was like. And if Airama wasn’t allowed to say anything to Ithabita, would they still be as close?

   Blithazee stepped up to her. She was a tall, willowy lady. With tawny skin, black hair and brown eyes. She wore the comfortable cotton knee pants and a tight green top belly top, with short sleeves and was tied together at the front by a simple yet efficient bow.

   “You will be the anchor for the journey,” Blithazee said. “It you wish.

   “The anchor?” Ithabita asked eyes wide. “Really?” The four of them nodded. “Thank you. What an honour.”

    Ursu smiled gently. “Some may disagree.”

   “You will be with her when she takes her journey. Though you will not feel or see what she does. You will keep her attached to this world,” Gesa explained. “It may seem easy, but do not under estimate the importance of you’re job.”

   “You might see what she does and what she feels. Only if she allows them to flow through the bond,” Blithazee told her looking at Gesa.

   “But be thankful if you don’t have to face those horrible moments twice,” Gesa said.

   “Horrible moments?” Ithabita asked, but Gesa just smiled sadly. She was beautiful in a scary way. She had long, straight, ink, black hair, yellowish eyes and a frightening mind. She could make you see things in your own mind that weren’t really there. Some say that she possessed you. But those were only stories that were told to the villages near by to scare them.

   Gesa was the only one who wore a dress. Though hers was short, only extending to her mid thigh and away from her black leather bodice. It was snow white with long sleeves like Ithabita’s own shirt. She also only wore sandals that strapped up to her the middle of her calves and a knife was attached to it, with another knife sheathed onto the belt just below her breasts.

   “Do not worry over Gesa’s words,” Ursu soothed laughing a tinkling, assuring laugh that flattered her already beautiful complexion.

   Ithabita frowned.  “Why not?”

   “They may be somewhat true. But you cannot lose sleep over them. They are just her words of wisdom.” Amseul smiled.

   Blithazee nodded in agreement. “We will be talking to Airama about all of this. I’m sure she will agree to you being her anchor.”

   “I hope so,” Ithabita whispered.

   “She will,” Ursu insisted gently. “I’ve never seen two unrelated people closer then you two are.”

   Ithabita turned to leave.

   “Two months is not very far. You will join her and the rest of us who’ve reached the age soon enough,” Blithazee said certainly and Ithabita pushed aside the bear fur curtain and left the hut.

   She made her way to her hut then stopped suddenly and realized she really wanted to tell Airama herself. So she turned and made her way to her friend’s hut.

   Inside her Airama’s brother, Awlilim sat on a wooden chair, his leg up on another across from him. Airama was kneeled by his leg and was busily tying a cloth around his thigh.

   “What happened?” Ithabita asked and they both looked at her.

   “Awlilim was out hunting with Ailuj, who does not enjoy hunting very much. She got to upset and nervous she accidentally stabbed him,” Airama answered.

   “Ouch,” Ithabita winced. “How’d that happen?”

   “She fell backwards with a knife in her hand, it went into my leg,” Awlilim answered. “But no worries, Airama is amazing at fixing up things.” He wore the same pants as all the guys did in the village except his were bloody. His belt, knife and gun were on the table. He wore a tight, leather, muscle shirt and a leather armband just above his elbow. His tall frame was only filled with slight muscle. He had strawberry blonde, short hair and green eyes. His chiseled jaw was rough with stubbles of hair.

   “That’s good,” Ithabita smiled and sat on the table by his legs.

   “So what did the council want?” Airama asked standing up.

   “Well it wasn’t ‘nothing’, it was huge,” Ithabita told her friend who gaped at her, waiting for more information. “They’ll talk to you later,” was all she said. Airama looked confused then happy.

   “My transformation!” she exclaimed. “Are you going to be my anchor?”

   “Only if you want me to be.”

   “Of course I do!” Airama screeched happily and hugged Ithabita. “This is so awesome!”

   “I know,” Ithabita replied smiling.

   Awlilim smiled too. “It’s an honour.”

   “Yeah.”

   “I can think of no one better I’d want at my side then you,” Airama stated.

   “Yeah,” Ithabita said. “I’m glad I was chosen.

   “Why wouldn’t they choose you?” Awlilim asked. “You and my sister are joined at the hip. Even the transformation won’t change that.”

   Ithabita caught Airama’s eye. “I hope not.”

   “What do you mean?” Airama asked, her face falling.

   “I mean just ‘cause I’m the anchor, it doesn’t mean I’ll know what you’ve gone through. I might not even get a few stray clips,” Ithabita explained. “And you won’t be allowed to share you’re experiences with me. Will we still be this close?”

   Airama gave a dazzling, reassuring smile. “Just because I’ll have powers soon doesn’t mean I’ll keep you in the dark for everything.”

   “But you’re not allowed – ”

   “To tell you anything about the transformation,” she ended, then added, “However I’m allowed to tell you everything that happens after. And two months isn’t a long way away.”

   Ithabita smiled again, she meant it too. “Promise?”

  “I promise.”

   But there was a still nagging feeling at the back of her mind that asked, ‘Do you believe any of that?’ She pushed it away and laughed. She could trust Airama.