Chapter 1

< Alexandria's POV > ( she's now 17 but in her dream she's 7 )

I knocked on the door and shouted "Mummy I'm home!"

I just came back from school. I can't wait to tell mummy the prize I won for being first in the spelling bee category for grade 1! It was a cute Rilakkuma soft toy and I love it so much!

Mummy soon came along and asked me how was my day in school. I told her that it was awesome and I was still hiding my prize behind my back...

"What is that you're hiding dear?" mummy asked curiously.

I smiled cheekily and showed her the soft toy. Her eyes widened when she saw it and I giggled.

"Where did you get it from sweetie?"

"I got it from my school's spelling bee competition for coming in first place," I replied  beamingly.

"Wow! Congratulations honey, you really deserve the prize then. By the way,what are you gonna name it?"

"Hmm, how about... Riley! It's a cute name for a cute toy."

Mummy placed her hand on her chin like a detective on a mission. Then, she nodded her head vigorously and I burst out laughing.

Suddenly, someone snatched the toy away from me and my heart skipped a beat. I looked up and saw that it was...daddy?

"What is this, Alex? Why are you playing with this...this...ugly thing? Why aren't you studying?! You do know that you will have to work very very hard to get a job in the future so that you can raise money for us! Stop playing with all this nonsense and go and study. Now!" Daddy shouted as he threw Riley away as far as possible.

Left with no choice, I nodded my head and went to get my schoolbag to study before throwing one last glance at Riley who was lying face down on the floor.

"And you? Useless mother. Do you care about her well-being and her future? You are already not working because you are so stupid that you can't even get a job! And yet you are still asking the girl to play with her damn toys?!" daddy said to mummy as tears began to form in her eyes. I was watching them from behind a wall to avoid being caught by daddy.

"Brett! Are you crazy? Alex is only seven! At this age, they are supposed to play and bond with their families, not just study and study and study! And, she just came back from school, so she needs to bathe, eat her lunch and freshen up first right?!" mummy raised her voice with all her might, confidence in her words.

But daddy was not going to give up that easily...

"How dare you insult me and go against my orders! You will pay for this! You will be punished!" daddy bellowed.

He slapped her so hard that she tumbled down the stairs and he just watched mercilessly.

"Mummy! NO!" I shouted and ran towards the stairs but daddy managed to grab hold of me in the nick of time.

I tried to wriggle my wrist free form his tight grasp but that just made daddy tighten his grip.

"What are you doing here Alex? Didn't l tell you to study?!?"

"No! I have to save mummy, she is in danger. Please let me go," I tried to break free from his grip and to make him regret what he did but to no avail.

"So you only care about your mother, right? Fine. Go and do whatever you want you stupid girl. I should have known, you are a girl. You are useless and you can't do anything effective for your family," Daddy said and he pushed me away and went into his room.