Chapter Thirty-Three

Eleanor's POV 

My eyes slowly opened, only to squint at the harsh, bright lighting in the room. Where was I? I brought my hand to shield my eyes from the lighting and sat up in a bed. Wait... A bed? I looked around me to find that I was staying in a large room. To be more specific, it was a hospital room with a hospital bed. The walls were bare white except for a white board at the far end of the room. 

What happened? 

I couldn't remember anything that happened. The only latest thing I remembered was going shopping for a dress for Summer's wedding, and then... Oh God. No. 

I scrambled out of bed trying to get the white covers untangled from my legs. I had to see if Peyton was all right! What was I doing here anyways?

"Eleanor?"

My head looked up as I saw the door opening, and Parker and my two sons walked in. My eyes automatically landed on Peyton who seemed to be fine. I let out a sigh of relief and opened my arms for him.

"Peyton!" I exclaimed snuggling him once Parker placed him in my arms. I kissed him all over his head, and he giggled trying to get away. "I'm so glad you're fine. Oh you worried me so much!"

I closed my eyes, relishing in the warmth and safety of my son. The doctors were wrong. Peyton couldn't have cancer. He was a healthy boy. 

"Eleanor?" Parker asked getting my attention.

I almost forgot about him being in the room. "Parker. What- what are you doing here?"

He almost smiled. "Summer called me about Peyton. I know we had this... this condition, but you have to understand why I came."

I nodded right away. "Of course. Of course. I- I understand. I just... I just don't get why I'm in here instead of Peyton."

"You passed out pretty bad," he explained. "I arrived just in the nick of time to catch you. We were in the hospital anyways so I had you checked up. The news probably hit you hard as it did me."

I looked down at Peyton. "Yeah. Yeah it did."

"I don't want to stay here," I declared. "I want to go home with my sons."

He nodded. "Sure. The doctor's coming in any minute now to tell you what's wrong. After that, you're free to leave."

"Okay," I said softly. "Thanks."

There was an awkward silence in the entire room except for Luke who was playing with the gloves. I hadn't seen Parker in two weeks. That was the longest time we'd ever gone not seeing each other. The last time we did see each other, it was sort of a goodbye. I thought that the next time we would see each  other, it would be because I was finally ready. Was I ready?

Parker cleared his throat shifting awkwardly on his feet just a few distance away from the bed. "I could get a cab ready for you and the boys." He offered. "Summer and Finn already left since they had a wedding appointment to go to."

I stayed silent staring at him. Maybe I was ready. It did seem like he changed. "No. Stay." He looked taken aback. I blushed and hid my face behind my hair. "I mean, please."

He smiled slightly. "Okay. I'll stay until you guys are ready to leave."

No. I meant take us home with you. Although I didn't have the courage to say it. I just nodded. 

The door finally opened and revealed a young doctor woman who smiled at us after looking at her clipboard. "Mrs. Jenkins? I'm Dr. Heath." 

"Yes, that's me."