Chapter 3 ~ Guilt and Help

Hermione woke with a huge smile that morning, but as usual there was a crowd of girls at the other end of the dorm, chatting away. Hermione sighed and she knew best so decided to ignore them and get to breakfast as soon as possible.

Hermione found Harry and Ron down in the common room playing wizard chess, and arguing about cheating. Hermione gave Crookshanks and quick stroke and when over to her friends.

“Aren’t you going down to breakfast” asked Hermione who sat beside Ron.

“We will” answered Ron “Checkmate, beat you again Harry” Ron was smiling “Hand over the chocolate frogs”.

Hermione stared at them until they both caught her eye “Betting? Chocolate frogs? Really?” She asked astonished. “Well at least it’s not real money, just sweets” said Ron who got up and packed up the chess set.

"I would have had them chocolate frogs if he hadn't cheated" said Harry pointedly.

"I didn't cheat, Harry. You're just crap as chess."

Harry shrugged and got up too.

Hermione glanced at the paper Draco had to hand in…it was still there, but Pavarti came down and placed it in her bag. To be honest it was foolish for her to leave it down here, but it did give me the advantage to mess with it. Pavarti caught Hermionestaring at her and came over.

“Hi Hermione, you ok?” She asked caringly and so innocently that Hermione gave her a weak smile.

“I’m fine thanks” said Hermione trying not to give anything away.

“I can’t believe you don’t think Draco is cute and handsome, but maybe soon you’ll realise” she said with a high pitched giggle.

Hermione couldn’t believe what she was hearing. It made her feel sick and so angry at Parvarti and all the other girls.

“Pavarti, he didn’t even know your name and he doesn’t deserve your attention or any girls attention, and he asked you to do his work, what do you get in return? He won’t be thankful” Hermione explained as clearly as possible, but everything she said went in one ear and out the other. Explaining how Draco is a waste of time was useless.

“Yes, but if I do his work, he’ll have to learn my name and he might ask me to the end of year dance” Pavarti squealed. Apparently Hermione wasn’t clear enough and gave up.

She proceeded down the steps and to the great hall. It was packed with students who were doing homework at the last minute. Hermione saw Pavarti go over to Draco, she hoped that Draco wouldn’t bother looking at it but just place it is his bag. Hermione was relieved when Draco didn’t bother checking it.

Hermione ate some oatmeal and glanced over at the Slytherin table. All she could see is Pansy feeding Draco pieces of toast and all the other house girls jealous. Hermione's eye continued to flicker onto the their table. She saw how Draco kept smirking and Pansy pug-like face breaking into a smile.

“That’s disgusting” came Ron’s voice who'd followed Hermione's gaze and watched Pansy feed Draco some toast.

“Oh…yeah..it is” Hermione went back to eat her oatmeal.

“Just look at all them girls, Why are they after him? What about Harry, He’s bloody HARRY POTTER!” said Ron who was slightly agitated