The Girl Across the Street 17

We walk into my house at 4:45 and I call out to my mom, "I'm home! Is it okay if I have guests?" I call out. We walk into the kitchen where I can smell my mom is making dinner.

"How many guests?" My mom calls, back, turning around to see us standing in the doorway, Kate still clinging to my hand and Emma standing a little behind us. "Oh, hello girls. Yes Dylan, they can stay. I wish you would tell me sooner though. I would have cooked something a little nicer than chili. Is chili okay with you girls?"

Emma nods and Kate says, "yes, thank you very much Mrs. Barnes. Your chili is always delicious." My mom smiles widely at the compliment. "Is there any way I can help you?"

"No, thank you sweetheart. Would any of you kids like a snack or something?"

Emma pipes up, "actually, could I have an ice pack? I hit my head today and it still hurts a little bit."

"Of course! Here, Dylan you get her the peas. That should be better for her head. Emma I'll get you some water, do you need to take anything for it? Have you told your mother yet? If you need to use our phone, please feel free. It's right here." She points to the phone.

"I've already told my mom, they called her in the nurse's office. Thank you."

I had her the peas and usher Kate and Emma upstairs to my room. The slightly cramped space of my bedroom has never felt as claustrophobic as it does now. I drop my backpack on the floor against my bed and Kate follows suit.

"Emma, you can work at the desk so that you don't have to bend over on the ground with your head." I offer. Kate starts to set up her books on the floor and Emma sets her bag down next to my desk chair.

"Thank you."

I sit down next to Kate on the floor and together, we do the math homework for tonight. Emma quietly works out of a textbook until we hear my mom holler up for us to come downstairs and eat dinner.

My father is late coming home tonight again so I find Cassidy and my mother waiting at the table.

Immediately when Kate walks into the door, my sister's nose scrunched up in disgust. "What's she doing here?" Cassidy asks.

"Hello to you too Cassidy. I see you've missed me a lot." Kate remarks.

Cassidy rolls her eyes and my mother scolds her for being rude to a guest. "She's no guest Mom, she's more of a pest."

"Clearly, I'm unwanted here more than usual. Mrs. Barnes, Thank you for having me over, I mustn't intrude however. It was wonderful to see you, goodnight." Kate says, quickly running from the room to grab her coat.

Emma is standing at the door, unsure of what to do and I glance after Kate, watching her go again. "Thanks a lot Cassidy. I'm going to go chase after my girlfriend now. Emma please sit down, I'll be back soon. Cassidy I swear, if you scare her away too, you'll regret it."

My mother scolds me but I blow her off to go find Kate. I see her gathering her books together and shoving them haphazardly into her book bag, brushing tears out of her eyes. "Kate." I whisper. She looks up at me and runs over, letting me envelope her into a hug.

"I don't understand why she hates me so much." She cries.

I rub her back slowly, up and down. "Shh, I don't either. Just ignore her. It doesn't matter what she thinks. My parents both like you, I like you, that's all that should matter."