The Girl Across the Street 14

I finish the essay just as my mom calls me down for dinner. I press print on my way out the door. I step into the kitchen and the aroma of the freshly grilled burgers, corn and French fries hit my nose. My stomach growls and I grab a plate to dish myself up.

"Leave some for your father, he'll be home late. He's going to be held up at the office tonight, I just got a call from him." My mom says, pouring herself a glass of water.

Cassidy comes down a minute later and dishes herself up then joins my mom and me at the kitchen table. Once she sits down with her food, I dig into my burger. It's not as well cooked as my dad's burgers, but it still tastes good. My mom finishes first and gets up to start the dishes. My sister and I finish at about the same time and she gets up to go finish her homework. I go into our office and grab my essay from the printer then go into the kitchen to see if my mom needs help.

She declines and shoos me back to my room to finish my homework. I have to read a chapter for English, then I'll be finished so I grab my book and sit down on my bed.

By the time I'm finished reading, it's eight-thirty. I hear a ding on my computer and look up to see a new message on LifeTyme. I get up and walk over to my computer. It's a message from Kate.

Kate Manor: I'm sorry for being a bitch yesterday.

Dylan Barnes: I'm not going to argue with that.

Kate Manor: I know, I was just upset and wanted to get back at you. But I'm done with that, I promise. Chris was an ass and just wanted sex.

Dylan Barnes: Well, you were all over him...

Kate Manor: I know. As I said, I was being stupid. Can you forgive me?

I hesitate for a second. Should I forgive her? She was a total bitch, but I hurt her.

Dylan Barnes: Yeah. You weren't the only stupid one.

Kate Manor: Thank you! I was so worried you would be really mad at me :(

Dylan Barnes: Nah, I'm over it now. So what's up? Why'd you message me?

Kate Manor: I wanted to apologize.

Dylan Barnes: Apology accepted. Can you forgive me for being an ass?

Kate Manor: Yeah. You were under a lot of pressure, especially with Will. I should have realized that.

Dylan Barnes: I know, it's fine. I'm over it.

Kate Manor: Are you doing anything right now?

Dylan Barnes: No, I just finished my homework. Why?

Kate Manor: Could you come over and help me with the math? I'm having trouble...

Dylan Barnes: Sure, I guess. I'll let my mom know then I'll be over in a couple minutes, I'm gonna walk.

Kate Manor: Thank you so much! See you soon!

I don't know why I just agreed to go help Kate. I have the feeling that only bad will come from this, but I don't want us to turn into those awkward exes that hate each others guts...

I jog downstairs, shrugging my coat on as I go. "Mom, I'm going over to Kate's to help her with some homework. I'll be back by ten-thirty at the latest okay?"

"I guess Dylan. I wish you would have gone earlier though. Do you want a ride?" My calls back from the living room.

"No, I'll just walk. My phone has almost a full battery. I'll text you when I'm heading home, love you."