The Girl Across the Street- 4

There is very rarely a dull moment in Mr. Hayden's class, but really, what else is there to expect from a room full of dramatic high schoolers? Recently we have been studying the opening sonnet of Romeo and Juliet and Hayden is now having us compete to see who can recite the quote best. Kate and I sign in and take our seats as others come into the room. Then, Emma walks in. Seriously, how many classes do I have with her? I think this makes five so far. Five out of seven classes today.

                Mr. Hayden welcomes her before starting the class. Today the juniors are supposed to be facing off for the best quote. Hayden asks for any volunteers and Kate raises her hand. She likes doing the spring shows at school, in the fall she has cheerleading. She is the one that convinced me to take drama last year.

                Hayden selects her and she makes her way up front of the room. I flash her an encouraging smile and she smiles back. Taking a deep breath, she begins. "Two households, both alike in dignity..." all the way through. She does a good job. She stumbles a bit on 'Which, but their children's end, naught could remove,' but the rest is clear. Hayden calls on me to critique her performance, from a director's view.

                "Well I think that Kate did a great job with pronunciation and projection but I would work on the third verse a little more." I say, with a wink. Kate giggles and Hayden sends her back to her seat.

                "Alright Mr. Barnes, let's see you do it." Hayden calls. I stroll up to the front of the room.

                "Two households..." I make it through the entire quote without a mistake. I smile and wait for the criticism. Mr. Hayden calls on Emma.

                "Well, I think that Dylan did a fine job with the quote. He clearly knows it well, but I would work a little bit on where you paused, there were one or two slightly awkward pauses but I almost suppose that could be the way you interpreted Shakespeare's iambic pentameter. I liked it," She remarked.

                Hayden nods and agrees. The rest of the juniors go, there are a total of five of us in the eighteen person class. The only junior that doesn't go is Emma. She raises her hand. "Mr. Hayden, I had to learn the sonnet for a project last year at my old school. May I give it a try now?"

                "Oh yes! Please do!" He exclaims and she goes to the front of the room. She says the quote perfectly. Her pauses were correct, she didn't stumble over the words, a great performance.

                The applause however, was weak. People are still confused by her, even the theatre kids. Her colors are a little too bold, her attitude a little too care free, her knowledge of Shakespeare a little odd. Kate leans over to me. "She's weird. Who dresses like that? She is clearly not from around here. But I must say, I do have respect for her knowing that quote so well." I nod my head in agreement.

                "I wonder if she made any friends today. I doubt it though. If people haven't been talking about Will, they've been talking about Emma. It's crazy how news travels around here." I point out. Kate nods and grabs my hand.

                "Okay guys, we're going to do some improvisation today!" Mr. Hayden announces. Cheers are heard throughout the room. Our favorite thing is improvisation. "Okay so who wants to go first? How about... Dylan, you get up here! And... Katie, you!" Kate and I get out of our seats and stroll up to the front of the room, still holding hands. "Okay, so Dylan, go over there, by Brianna, you can't hear this." I nod and watch while he whispers in Kate's ear. Then he claps his hands together. "Okay so I have given Miss Manor a sentence that she will say to Mr. Barnes who has to respond to that statement, therefore building the improv. Remember the rules of improv, and begin." He orders as he sits in an empty chair.