The Girl Across the Street 13

I feel a tap on my shoulder and it's Kate. I turn around and raise my eyebrows at her. "Did you get the Byrd homework? I didn't have time at the end of the period. I know we have him different periods, but I figured you would have it, right?" She is talking a mile a minute, trying to get all of the words out in case I cut her off or something I suppose.

            "Yeah, here you can copy it down from my agenda. But hurry please, I can't be late for detention. It's with Olivers."

            Her jaw drops and she stops copying the problem numbers. "You got detention with Olivers? But you don't even-oh right, you have her for homeroom. But seriously, you, of all people, got detention? That's just incredible. What one argh did you do that was detention worthy? I mean come on. Have you ever gotten a detention for anything?"

            "Never. And it wasn't even like I was doing something insane. I told Emma to put her book away during morning announcements and she nailed us both for 'disturbing announcements.'" It's crazy, she's crazy.

            "Wow Dylan, never thought you'd turn into such a badass." Kate teases. I laugh and she finishes copying down the math problems. "Thanks, I owe you one. I better go, let you get to your detention."

            "No problem. See you around."

            "See you." She waves then goes off in the direction of her own locker. Chris is there waiting for her but she dismisses him quickly. I take off for Mrs. Olivers' classroom, checking my watch, 2:47.

            When I get to the room, Emma is sitting, working on homework. She glances up as I walk in. "I see you're back for delightful detention, day two." She greets.

            I laugh, "I just couldn't stay away, you know?" Emma snorts, shakes her head and returns to her worksheet.

            Mrs. Olivers walks in at 2:58 with another stack of posters. She hands then to us without a word, points at the clock and sits down at the teacher's desk in the front of the room.

            For thirty minutes it's completely silent, the only sound is the pens hitting the paper as one of us marks  down a grade. The silence is broken, of course, by Emma. "Mrs. Olivers, may I go to the bathroom?"

            "Are you finished reading those projects?" She asks, looking up at the still large pile of posters on the desk between Emma and me.

            "No but-"

            "No buts, you can go when detention is over."

            "Mrs. Olivers, I'll still be here grading. I'm sure she won't take long." I try to reason.

            "I said no. She got herself into detention. She can wait to use the restroom until her punishment is over."

            "You act like I did some heinous crime!" Emma accuses, standing up behind her desk.

            "You need to learn to accept punishments where they are due, no arguments. I can always give you the other class' projects to grade as well. Keep you here longer."

            "I have to go to the hospital after this and visit a friend. I can't stay any later than this will end already, please don't do that." I plead.

            "Well you should have thought of that before you got yourself a detention I suppose."

            "I can't believe this!" Emma exclaims, sitting back down. She lands with a soft thud and crosses her arms over her chest.