The Girl Across the Street- 8

Together, Simon and I walk to science. Today we have lab, which means double science period, so no gym.

Mr. Holmes allowed us to pick our own lab partners at the beginning of the year, having us keep in mind that we would be stuck with them all year long. It was a clever way for him to get out of the headache when someone doesn't like their partner. Now all he has to do is remind them that they chose the pair themselves. Of course, Simon and I are partners.

We sit down automatically at our assigned lab bench and wait for the bell to ring. 

Emma comes in and freezes as soon as she sees us all sitting at lab benches instead of our regular seats. Mr. Holmes walk in right behind her and stops when he looks up and sees her standing there. It takes him a moment to realize that she doesn't have a lab partner. Thinking for a second, he tries to resolve the issue.

He counts the number of kids sitting at the benches, everyone has one partner. "Okay, we are going to make a group of three." He announces, then turns to Emma. "What group do you want to join? I'll let you pick." Emma's eyes widen, everyone else's eyes narrow. No one wants her to be in their group, wherever she goes, she will be excluded and made fun of. I make eye contact and try to wave her over without Mr. Holmes, Simon, or the rest of the class noticing. She sees me and a small smile spreads across her face.

"Um, Mr. Holmes, I would like to join Dylan Barnes and Simon Castro's group please." She says quietly. The class gasps and Simon glances at me, eyebrows raised. He always knows when I have something to do with her decision. I shrug and Emma walks over to us and sits on my right side, away from Simon. Looking between the two, I can tell labs will certainly be interesting from now on.

After our second science ends at 12:15, everyone is still alive and the lab went fairly well. Emma clearly knew what she was doing and she and Simon simply didn't say anything to the other unless they needed a slide or something like that.

Simon and I walk out and go to our lockers. I spin my lock and open my locker when I hear Kate's loud giggle from behind me. I turn around and see her with Chris again, laughing at one of his "funny" jokes. She quickly glances at me to make sure I'm looking and turns up the flirting, running her fingers playfully down his arm.

I roll my eyes and close my locker, walking away nonchalantly without even glancing in her direction again. She should have realized by now that I am not the type that gets jealous after seeing his ex-girlfriend with another guy, not even the day after we break up.

I meet Simon at his locker and inform him of Kate's recent behavior as we walk to lunch. He laughs and rolls his eyes, commenting on how pathetic and desperate that is.  I nod and listen as he tells me about this girl he has his eye on, Anne. She is a cheerleader from his math class. She sits at our lunch table. I picture her in my head, she's hot but a bit of an idiot. 

We get to the cafeteria and I take my regular seat next to Simon. If Kate has a problem with that, then she can move. 

I get on the line to buy lunch without running into Kate and when I return, there she is with Chris. He shoots me an apologetic glance, he can't really help Kate hanging all over him, sure he could resist a little more, but Kate is pretty hot so I understand. I nod, letting him know to go for it, I don't care. He smiles and turns his attention to what Kate is saying. 

The period goes on with Kate now on top of Chris, he keeps glancing at me, still feeling bad, I'll talk to him later. I make a point of ignoring her, trying to show that I don't care. I honestly don't feel anything aside from being embarrassed by her behavior. She is acting like a complete slut, trying to make me jealous when it is clearly not working.