14

"Where were you?" Tony scowls.
     All of the Avengers stand in the quinjet, waiting for Tony to explode. Steve and I barely have one foot through the door before Tony's mouth joins us.
     "You can't just run off like that. You had us worried sick!" he yells.
     "Change 'us' to 'you'." Natasha mutters.
     "Well," I say. "Isn't someone a Salty Sarah?"
     Tony growls, but refuses to speak. Everyone else, including Steve, stay silent.
     "We are adults, Tony," I say. "We can do what we want."
     "You could have-" Tony interjects bitterly.
     "Tony, listen to me. We are adults. We can take care of ourselves."
     "But-"
      "We. Are. Fine. That's all that matters."
Tony sighs. "You're right. I'm sorry, I get too overprotective of you."
I smile at him and walk in his direction. "I need to get out of this dress, and I'm exhausted. Good night, guys. See in the morning."
Steve stifles a yawn. "I'm probably going to do the same. Night, guys."
We wind through the quinjet and find our assigned rooms. They happen to be next to each other, mine being in between Steve's and Tony's. Steve and I stand in front of our doors, waiting for the right moment to wish each other a good night.
"Well," Steve says. "Good night, Tori. If I haven't mentioned already, you look really nice in that dress."
I blush. "T-Thank you. You look nice in your tux."
"Thank you," he smiles. "Sleep well, Tori."
"You too, Steve." I say, opening my door and walking into my room.
I close the door behind me. The room is smaller than my bedroom at home. It is like a hotel room, small but comfortably quaint. The bed has white sheets and a white comforter with a desk across from it. I slip off my flats and set them near the door. I scan the room for my clothes that I had prepared and find them next to the bed. Sprinting over to it, I quickly unzip the duffle bag and take out a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I peel off my dress and throw on my night clothes. I can barely take out my hair before I fall onto the bed and drift into a deep sleep.

•••

The morning calls me and I rub my eyes to clear them. The room isn't any different, but I glance at the clock on the bedside table next to the bed - 8:23. I groan, not wanting to leave the warmth of my blankets. I eventually give in and get up. I find an outfit to wear on our free day and then tidy myself up. I pull my hair back into a messy ponytail, put on makeup, and adjust my thin blue sweatshirt multiple times. I smooth out my jeans and double check my black converse sneakers to make sure that they are tied.
I leave my room, knocking on Tony's when I turn the corner. He answers, buttoning up his shirt.
"Good morning," he says.
"I can't believe that you're awake," I say. "I'm actually a bit proud of you."
     "Aw, thanks," he grins. "I'm pretty sure I heard Steve leave his room a few minutes ago with Bruce. Natasha and Clint are still in their separate rooms getting ready."
     "Ready for what, exactly?" I question.
     "I really don't know," he says. "Whatever comes our way."
     I smile and we briskly stroll through the hallways. We stay silent, not wanting to say anything. However, Tony abruptly speaks.
     "Mind if I ask," he says. "But what did you and Steve do while you were gone last night?"
     I bite my lip. "Just got to know each other."
     "Ah," Tony grins.
     We turn a corner and I almost ram into Steve. I tilt my head up to see his face. We are almost chest to chest against each other and we don't move.
     "S-Steve," I laugh awkwardly. "I'm so sorry."
     "It's alright, Tori. It was my fault. I wasn't watching where I was going." he says sweetly.
     "No really-" I say.
     "No, I insist. It was my fault, my apologies."
     I smile, slowly backing away from him. "So, good morning."
     "Good morning," he says, slipping his hands into his jean pockets. "I'm so sorry, I'm being so impolite."
     "Tell that to Mister over here," I say, nodding to Tony.
     "What?" Tony asks.
     "Oh, nothing," I say. "So, Cap, what's the schedule for today?"