7

I stand outside, breathing heavily. This is not what I wanted, this isn't what I planned. I run my fingers through my hair - a nervous habit. As the hair falls back into place, I pace around the section of corridor. The lights are dim, unlike the room I just left. Attention: the worst thing that can ever happen to me. Ever since I became a "known Stark", I've tried to avoid cameras and reporters since I was five. And because I do that, I have mini panic attacks when I get too much attention.
If I didn't have that issue, I would still be upset. I don't want attention from someone famous. I want something that deals with me, and me only.
Calm down, you'll be fine.
I am fine.
I am fine.
I am...dying.
"Victoria!" Tony screams.
My head snaps in my brother's direction, my eyes still widened with horror. He sprints to me, wrapping his arms around me. I attempt to bury my face into his metal suit by force of habit, obviously not able to. My hands tremble as I slowly put my arms around him. He coos me to stop panicking. My breaths are shaky, making my throat tighten up.
"You're okay," he says, stroking my hair. "You're alright."
I blink back tears as Tony does the brotherly deeds that I never receive on a daily basis. I hear Natasha's voice commanding someone, then Steve's worried voice protesting. I unravel our limbs and cross my arms, making myself as small as possible.
I hear footsteps clomping towards us. My muscles tighten before I see Steve's worried face come around the corner. Natasha speeds after him, cursing under her breath when she sees that he found Tony and I.
"I, uh, I'm-" Steve stumbles.
"Don't be sorry," I say. "That's one thing I haven't told you yet. I just get too scared."
"No," Steve says. "I-I completely understand. It happens to me too, but internally, not able to express so that people can see how I am."
"Everyone does," Tony says. "I do it too sometimes. It happens rarely, but it still does. And what is life changing to you is different to me."
I still feel my heart thumping against my chest, but I look into Steve's blue eyes, and it returns to its normal beat. My muscles relax and I let my arms drop to my sides. Tony still looks at me with anxiety filling his eyes.
"I'm okay now," I tell him. "I'm perfectly fine."
He sighs of relief. "Good."
Natasha moves her head in the direction of the room to Tony, who nods his head slowly.
"We're going to leave you two here for a minute," Natasha says. "Don't do anything stupid."
Tony and Natasha walk away, into the room. Steve and I are left alone. I clear my throat and rock on my heels.
"So, when do you have those little attacks? I mean, let me know if it's too personal." I ask.
"No, no, I trust you with that information," Steve says. "When I'm around a big crowd, especially after a big successful mission as Captain America. Everyone looks at me as him, not Steve Rogers. I am never recognized by my true identity, only my 'hero' name."
"I understand that," I say quietly. "I get upset when I realize that."
"I just want to be known as myself, not a person who I'm not."
"Yeah. It's being told to play for the citizens, hiding your flaws and personality."
"Exactly."
     There is silence between us for a moment. He takes in what he told me and I take in what he said. Agents walk out of the room with unconscious men and weapons.
     "Let's go," one agent says to us. "Fury needs us."
     Steve and I rush into the crowd and try to find the other Avengers, whom are at the front of the group.
     "Why are we leaving so soon?" Steve asks.
     "Bruce needs us and so does Fury." Tony says.
     "Fury came?" I ask.
     "No," Natasha says. "He needs to tell us all stuff over video chat."
     "Oh, okay."
     The crowd slowly moves out of the base and eventually above ground, where citizens and tourists thrive, thinking that nothing happened.