XI- Finding Peace At Last

23/12/1998

Dear Laith,

I saw you again today. You called me up. Your voice was like a song from heaven, so soft and caring. You seemed very distracted. When you walked into our coffee shop you barely said a word. Your eyes never left my hand. Thank God I remembered to take of the ring. This wasn't the time for complicated discussions. Would you have mentioned it though? 

I could feel the tension between us growing with every passing minute. When it finally became too much you passed me the letters you had the last time we met. I was right, the new ones were yours. I remember that script perfectly like the day I first met you. It seems it will never end; you and I. This back and forward motion between us, chasing after you and I until death do us part. Sounds like  a frightening wedding vow. 

I took the letters, your grip turning white on my own. I let you keep them. You will probably need them more than I. It is these simple objects that remind us of our love. It seems only fair.

Forever yours,

Caitlyn

~~~

23/12/1998

Dear Caitlyn,

I know I have already given you the letters and this one will remain useless. Maybe it will help me remember the day... I think? Seems pointless. You see, not a day with you has gone by that I don't remember. Sometimes I replay them in my mind, trying to look for cracks thinking maybe I would see where it went wrong. Trying to catch something I missed before. 

I couldn't give you the letters. I don't know why. You let me keep them anyways and took my own. Something tells me you won't need to remember which letter each of my own are for. Somehow I wish I could make you forget. 

I noticed your ring again. Or rather, the lack of it. Why did you remove it? What would you have said if I asked? It doesn't matter anyways. It never will. This is goodbye Caitlyn. I promise, I will not rip you away from your happiness no matter how hard it is. I will tear myself apart trying. This is one promise I will keep. Don't you worry.

Loving you now and always,

Laith