[15] Waking Up In Another World - A LOTR Fanfiction

Chapter 15:

Frodo flew through the air backwards, and smashed into the mountains side.

The mountain shook, and a huge avalanche of snow buried us.

POOOMPH! (Yes lame sound effects, I know!)

The snow buried me, and I couldn’t see anything. I also didn’t know what way was up, or down. I burrowed along, hoping to get out soon, because my air was running out.

My hand brushed against something, and I reached out to feel what it was. It was Frodo! I could still feel the heat from the lightning strike radiating off him.

I had my bearings now though, and I grabbed the back of Frodo’s tunic, and crawled out of the snow.

The others were all out by the time I surfaced, coughing.

The Hobbits took one look at Frodo and fell onto each other sobbing.

“He’s dead! We survived but he’s dead!” – they wailed at the top of their voices.

“Silence!” – Gandalf hollered, and his tone did silence them, at once.

“He’s not dead!” – I explained, an ear to Frodo’s chest. “Something blocked or deflected the lightning bolt!”

I pulled open the top of Frodo’s tunic, and everyone stared. Mithril gleamed in the light.

For all that doesn’t know – Mithril is this sort of armor made of ‘Mithril’ a very hard substance, that can take a tremendous amount of beatings, and it is a prized substance among the dwarves.

“Bless you laddie!” – Gimli said just as Frodo’s eyes opened.

Aragorn shoved through the snow, and came to Frodo’s side.

(Frodo lying on his back, on top of the snow).

He pointed out that Frodo had burns up his arms, and legs, so I had to bandage them up. I did it, all while using every profanity that I could think of to swear at Aragorn, and in every language to!

Just as I finished bandaging Frodo up, my list of profanities ran out, so I was forced to take a breath.

The others were watching me, as I shoved the bandages into the bag.

“I always knew that you weren’t going to the library on Saturday night!” – Zena accused me.

I shrugged my shoulders, “I went to the library every other Saturday night.”

Zena pouted playfully. “And you didn’t take me along? I’m hurt!”

Gandalf cleared his throat. “We must continue. The mountain is the only way to get to Moria!”

Gimli shook his head, scattering snow everywhere, “Gandalf, we could pass through the mines of Moria!”

Gandalf’s pupils dilated, and he shook his head sharply, his white beard narrowly missing his eye.

“No Gimli. I would not pass through the mines of Moria if I had no other choice!”

I piped up. “We should not go in through the mines!”

Gandalf nodded, then looked suspicious. “Why?” – he asked me.

“Goblins, and Orc’s have taken over the whole thing, and killed all the dwarves!” – I explained.

Gimli looked horrified. “It can not be true! What of my cousin Balin?”

I shook my head sadly, “I am sorry Gimli. But your cousin Balin is dead.”

I didn’t expect Gimli to get so upset! I mean, eek! Gimli threw back his head and howled at the top of his lungs, tears streaming down into his bushy beard.

The rest of us just stood around until Gimli was finished sobbing. I won’t say crying, because that would be the understatement of this millennium! It was more like all the dams in modern earth breaking, and you standing in the way of the torrent.

Gimli sniffed, and opened him mouth to say something, but he just buried his head in the snow.

Legolas handed him a handkerchief like thing, wordlessly.

Gandalf looked at the mountain sadly. “We shall not take the pass through the mines of Moria. For it is to dangerous!”

Frodo took this moment to come to his senses.

“Gandalf,” – he started. “I am the ring bearer! And I say that we should go through the mines of Moria!”