Chapter 17

Copyright 2013 misscowgirlup22

Chapter 17

            “Cassie can you call Sheriff Andrews, I want Leslie gone now?” Brent asked his sister as he began to trudge his way towards the house.

            “Fine, but you owe me big time. I don’t take watching her very lightly.” Cassie glared over Leslie’s way.

            “Okay, whatever. I owe you…big time. Just watch he until the sheriff gets here.” He kicked his boots in the dirt. “I have to go and try to fix my relationship with Anna.”

            Brent continued walking towards the house.

            Jess looked at Cassie. “How does he plan to fix this?”

            Cassie shook her head. “You know, I’m kind of wondering the same thing. But for now we can at least help him by getting rid of her,” she motioned towards Leslie.

            “Want me to call the sheriff?” Jess asked Cassie curiously.

            “Sure. Tell him to get out here quick. I don’t want her on our land any longer than we have to.”

            “I’ll go call him in just a minute, but first why don’t you just let her leave with a warning?” Jess was confused, why should they get the sheriff in the middle of this?

            “Well, because the last time he tried that it obviously didn’t work. I mean she came back. Didn’t she?”

            Jess bit the corner of her mouth, a bad habit she’d acquired. “Yeah.”

            “Getting the law involved might make things seem a little more real to her…and then maybe she’ll finally leave all of us alone.”

            “True. I’ll go and call Sheriff Andrews. Have fun with Leslie while I’m gone.” Jess walked over toward the barn to call the sheriff.

            Cassie looked away from Jess walking off. “So what’s your problem, Leslie? Why do you feel the need to destroy my brother’s happiness?”

            She got no response.

            “Leslie, I don’t know what to do with you anymore. We gave you the chance to just walk away. I don’t want to get involved with the law, but honestly, I don’t think we know another way to deal with you.”

            There was still no response.

            Cassie was done. She couldn’t think of any other way to deal with Leslie. So they’d get the sheriff over her, charge her with trespassing and verbal threat. This was the last that they’d ever see of her.

*****

            “Anna?!” Brent knocked on her door. “Please talk to me… It’s not what you think.” He sighed loudly when no response came. “Please, I really need to talk to you. I don’t want to lose you, Anna.”

            He could hear her sobbing on the other side of the door. He didn’t know what to do. Should he go in and try and comfort her, help her understand his side? Or should he walk away and let her cool off?