Chapter 23

Copyright 2013 misscowgirlup22

Chapter 23

            Derek’s boot hit the floor of the ledge with a clump. He wasn’t quite sure what he would find, but he sure wasn’t expecting to see a dead mountain lion lying near, Brent who was clearly unresponsive.

            Derek unhooked his harness from the rope, and stepped over to Brent. He bent down and tried to shake him, seeing if he could get him to respond. Then he checked for breathing, but he couldn’t find anything.

            Damn it! This wasn’t what he’d expected to find! He’d been told it would be a search and rescue, not a possible search and retrieve…

            He had to pull himself together. He was no help to Brent if he stayed in his thoughts. He had minutes to save his life, and right now it was turning into seconds.

            There was no pulse! He didn’t have time to check for other injuries. He had to start compressions and breaths. It was just too bad he didn’t have an AED. That would have helped him a ton.

            Derek stripped Brent’s chest, and still got no response. Brent really was gone…

            No he couldn’t think about that. He stripped off his gloves as the adrenaline began to pump through his veins.

            He placed his hands on Brent’s chest and began compressions. “One… two… three…!” he counted out loud. He made his hands begin working to a rhythm. Once he finished his first set of thirty compressions he quickly grabbed the barrier he always kept with him and placed it on Brent’s mouth.

            He gave him two quick breaths that made Brent’s chest rise. He then started on compressions again counting in his head, they were surprisingly easy, but he guessed that Brent had had a few broken ribs before he’d started compressions.

            He radioed the new information on Brent’s condition to headquarters. “I have an update on Brent Donovan! He is non-responsive and I am currently doing CPR! We need that helicopter even sooner now!”

            He finished that set of compressions, and then continued on with the rest until he’d finished five sets. He checked his carotid for a pulse, but he didn’t find anything.

            Damn! He started another set of compressions even though his hands were beginning to ache from his exertion, but he soldiered on.

            Once he finished another set of compressions he immediately did two more rescue breaths. He finished the set of the five sets, and then he stopped.

            He didn’t know what he’d do if he found no pulse, again.

            He took one deep breath, and then placed his fingers on Brent’s neck, and he found a pulse. It was barely there, but it was a pulse.

            Thank, God! He checked for breathing and there was barely anything there, but it was there.

            He grabbed a fresh survival blanket from his pack, and covered Brent with it, while he watched his vital signs closely.