Chapter 10

Copyright © 2013 misscowgirlup22

Chapter 10

              That night after Cassie and Anna had gone to bed, Brent sat out on the front porch in one of the rocking chairs. He thought about his parents, who were currently retired in Wyoming, but he remembered when they'd sit outside at night taking about anything and everything. Brent missed them which was the reason why he was sitting outside staring at the moon thinking about everything.

              Since his kiss with Anna, he couldn't sleep at night because every time he closed his eyes he would remember how she felt wrapped up in his arms, and that kiss, well it kept repeating itself making him think that he might go crazy if he didn't repeat it, and soon. He cursed himself for deciding to be just friends with her right now. He wanted to be more than that with her. He wasn't sure what more entitled yet, but he still wanted it.

              When he'd lay awake he'd wonder if Anna was staring at her ceiling like he was with his, thinking about him and that kiss.

              Maybe he could ask her on a date. Saturday there was supposed to be a local country artist playing at the Broken String Tavern in town and there was sure to be some dancing. He could hold her close and feel her body pressed flesh up against his while they danced. The thought was quickly becoming an intoxicating one for Brent.

              A date with Anna was just what he needed. He'd be able to get to know her better which would make him happy and then maybe they could start acting like a couple since that's what everyone thought them to be.

              The sound of a person walking towards Brent brought him back from his thoughts. When he looked up he couldn't quite tell who it was at first and then as the figure started to get closer he realized it was Clint. Brent wondered why Clint would be coming to talk to him this late at night. Something must be wrong with the hand, but what was it?

              He'd have pry to get the answer out of him somehow.

              As Clint stood on the porch the look on his face was a grave one. The look was unusual on his normally emotionless face.

              Clint to took off his Stetson off and held it against his thigh. "Hey, Brent can I talk to you for a minute?"

              "Sure what's up?" He motion towards him to sit in the rocking chair next to him."

              As Clint down he sighed sadly. "I don't really know how to say this."

              "Say what?" Brent asked curiously.

              Once again Clint sighed, and then he took a deep breath. "I think that my time at the ranch has come to an end. I know that this is short notice, but I'd like to leave your employment on Sunday morning."

              Brent was stunned by what Clint had just said. He wondered why Clint was leaving with such short notice. "I guess that'd be fine, but can I ask you why you're leaving?"

              Because I love your sister and as long as I'm here I can never provide for her what she'll need, he thought. "I don't know, I just feel like it's time to move on." Something inside of Clint screamed liar.

              "Okay, I'll have your last paycheck for you Saturday afternoon." Brent rubbed his face with the palm of his hand. "It's going to be different around here without you Clint. You were one of my best hands."