Chapter 22

Copyright 2013 misscowgirlup22

Chapter 22

            Brent was freezing his ass off—quite literally too, he’d looked, it was now a mighty fine shade of blue. And there was also the fact that his arm felt like it was going to kill him from the amount of pain that it elicited. And he had to admit lying next to that dead mountain lion was a bit creepy. Safe to say he kept his distance from the damn thing.

            Having only a dead mountain lion for companionship made him miss Anna even more than he already did, and the comfort that always came with her. Lying next to her the night before he left for his hunting trip was the closest he’d come to Heaven, not to mention the best night of sleep he’d ever had.

            It’d been about a day since his little incident, it sounded better that way. He couldn’t help but glare over at the damn mountain lion. If hadn’t been for that stupid thing he’d have his elk, and he’d be heading home on time. Not to mention that he wouldn’t have multiple broken or fractured bones, and probably a couple more dislocated.

            As much as he wanted lay the brunt of the blame on the mountain lion he knew that he had to leave quite a bit of it for himself. He knew that he was the main person to blame for his stupidity. He never should have gone back for the elk.

            By now that had to be searching for him, or at least he hoped that they were. He wasn’t quite sure if they’d be able to get to him though. It had snowed at least two more feet since his incident, and he was sure that maneuvering through Middle Fork with all the snow was just about impossible with your basic search and rescue team. Maybe they’d called in one of the severe weather teams.

            God, he hoped they had. He didn’t know if he would be able to survive out her with only a little water, a couple protein bars, and one of those survival blankets for too long. He’d been lucky enough to have fallen onto a ledge that had a small area that was hallow enough for him to take cover under.

            “Holy shit! Damn! F*ck!” Brent groaned when he shifted to grab his pack. The cold weather did nothing but intensify the ache and pain he felt radiating from his body.

            He gritted his teeth as he dug around in search of his small bag filled with personal items.

            Call him a sap, or whatever. But Brent always carried pictures of his family with him. You never knew when you’d get homesick, and miss the people you loved the most. Especially the girl that carried your heart with her all day long, and she probably didn’t even know it…

            That was unless she’d heard him when he’d told her while she was asleep…

            Well, shit…! That wasn’t how he had wanted to tell her. What if she had heard him!

            He’d just have to hope that she hadn’t heard him. He had to tell her when the time was right. And right now it was not. He wanted to tell her when this whole thing was done, when he was recovered or at least mostly recovered.