Chapter 23 ~ Beautiful Mess

Hermione had learned the fear of battle far too well in the past months; so well that she knew it like the back of her hand. She knew fear on every level and in every way possible, but she didn't know fear without Draco. She stood in the fire, unsure of whether he was safe or not. She looked anxiously around for him, anxiously around for her love, but she couldn't seem to find him.

She changed the focus of her gaze once more, and she couldn't seem to process what she saw before her legs started running as if for her, and her arms were around what she had seen. Dark, askew hair, bright green eyes, round glasses, lightning bolt scar... Everything that was Harry Potter. She buried herself in his shoulder and just began to cry, unable to take notice that the people around her were Death Eaters and she was hugging the enemy.

"Did Draco let you out?" she whispered, securing her arms tighter around the friend she considered her brother. "I was so worried... I told him to let you out I just couldn't stand letting you -

Harry released her awkwardly and began running his fingers through his hair. "Erh, yeah, he did. I don't think you realized how much he risked by doing that, so I suggest you go see him instead of me".

She looked around the clearing, seeing dueling enemies and both black and white; there was no grey here. Not even her lover was grey anymore. "Where is he?" she swallowed audibly, nervously. "I - I do need to see him".

"In the dungeons" said Harry. Her friend sighed, giving her a sympathetic look. "Hermione, I'd tell him how you feel about him. Things are getting more and more rough".

She bit her lip, attempting to hold back the sobs lodged at the bottom of her throat. "I will".

And then she ran off, unaware that Draco was watching her from the stairway of the dungeon. He noted how graceful she really was; she was like a deer, or a gazelle. She carried herself with pride. Perhaps that was what he fell in love with.

Or maybe it was that he fell in love with the idea of loving anyone at all in a time like this.

He hadn't had time to observe her much before her coffee curls were surrounding his face and her arms were wrapped firmly around his neck. She stood up on her tiptoes to plant a light kiss on the lips she knew so well. "Draco..." she hummed.

He wrapped his arms around her equally as tight around her waist once he had realized what was happening, and he became much more tense. She felt him tense. She could feel his fear. "I'm wanted as of now, Granger. I - I know I am".

"Why did you have to do this to yourself?" she managed to whisper.

He narrowed his eyes. She realized that there was something grey after all; his eyes. "You were the one who told me to let him go. You were the one that told me to save Potter. You were the one who said all that and now you're trying to reprimand me on my actions?"

She began to cry, but her sobs were near silent... nothing more than small whimpers "I didn't think about what would happen to you! I didn't think about what would happen to - to us if you were to let him out! I was just scared and I didn't think you would actually do it! And now you might end up d-d-dead on my accord and it'll be all my fucking fault".

She tried to tear herself from his grasp but he wrapped his firm, slender hands around her wrists. He released one of them for a moment to place a finger under her chin in an attempt to catch her gaze. Her eyes were still the same light, honey tone. He wasn't sure why he would even be so surprised, but so much seemed to have changed in the past hour that it was nice to know they were the same. He began to count the barely-there freckles on her nose and tried to memorize that there were eleven in all.

He cupped her face in his hands and pressed a kiss on her forehead, and it was only then he realized how small and delicate she really was. It was easy to forget, really. She was such an independent personality, and was so assertive that it was quite easy to forget she was just as fragile as him.