Chapter 16 ~ Rain

"Searching to find myself, but all I find is you
I can hardly stand myself, so what am I to you?"
~ Every Night by Imagine Dragons

The hail was beginning to turn to rain as spring began to come. Some of the trees even began to sprout leaves. But the world was still grey and damp, and it still was a sad sight to see. It was as stormy as the current happenings in it. But then again, that seemed to be how it always went. The moist air made their living quarters near as cold as it was outside.

"Fucking hell it's cold in here" Draco complained, throwing another blanket over himself. He was spread across the sofa lazily and reading a book on potions and their antidotes.

"Just wait until we're in Norway," uttered Hermione bitterly. "I can't say I'm the least bit excited for that... And Draco, you know how to cast a spell for God's sake, you don't have to sit in the cold".

He shrugged. "I kind of like feeling cold... it reminds me that I'm still alive".

"What if we aren't alive?" she murmured thoughtfully, looking out the enchanted window at their stormy surroundings. "What if this is all a dream?"

"Nightmare" he corrected automatically. "And I'd almost rather it was... Then I could just wake up and none of it would've been real".

"I wouldn't want to erase everything" she said quietly. "I would want to keep - to keep some things in my memory".

He planted a light kiss on her forehead. "I wouldn't want to forget you either, Granger".

::::::::::::::

Hermione groaned in frustration. "I can't fucking light my cigarette in this rain".

"I really wish you'd never smoked one of those things" Draco frowned. "And well there is more to do out here".

She raised an eyebrow. "Like?"

"We could go for a swim" he suggested, shrugging.

"It's too cold to swim".

He rolled her eyes. "Gryffindor bravery at it's finest".

::::::::::::::

It was the first battle they were fighting in for a while; an ambush in Hogsmeade. It was horrifying, really; seeing the place they had visited cheerfully back in their schooldays. But schooldays were over now. Schooldays had been over for a long while.

That was proven by the fact that Draco was dueling, ironically, Theodore, whom he had come to that very place with so many times on weekends. "So I heard about you and your Mudblood," Theodore cackled. "Am I correctly informed that you're with Granger?"

Draco looked at him coldly. "I wasn't aware that any of this was your business, Nott".

"Have I touched a nerve?" the other Slytherin smirked, aiming yet another hex at Draco, which was repelled away with a lazy flick of his wand.

"I'd say so. I care about Granger, see" Draco replied coolly. "But you Death Eaters seem yet to have learned the definition of the word 'care'".

He stopped briefly to think about when Theo had gone wrong. But Draco quickly came to the conclusion that he had been destined into the wrong cause; he after all, was a Pureblood. And unfortunately, most Purebloods shared the same belief system. But he couldn't help but mourn for the friend he had joked with in the common room and laughed with over breakfast.

"Oi! Granger!" shouted Theo. Hermione turned her head. "Crucio". 

Hermione let out a shrill scream and collapsed to her knees. "Nott I will fucking kill you!"