Chapter Two ~ When The Bell Tolls

The bell toll was a catalyst. A sense of gloom and dread instantly filled the air. "What's going on?" asked Draco, furrowing his brow.

"I don't know" she sucked in a shaky breath. "But it can't be good".

There was a loud bang that made his pale skin erupt in goosebumps; Goosebumps he knew weren't from the crisp autumn air. "What was th-

"The wards" she whispered. "The wards are breaking".

"Why are the -

"Death Eaters" she interrupted. "They've figured out where we are". She cast him a suspicious sort of glare and frowned. "Probably because of you... I told Harry I was right about you you're -

"In case you didn't remember, I don't even know where the hell we are" he groaned. "If this is going to be what it's like here then-"

She threw his coat at him in interruption. "Malfoy come on! Stop asking questions and just get on with it! This isn't an interview, and now isn't the time for us to be arguing! There will be plenty of time for that later".

"Stop answering them, then" he muttered. She shot him a warning glance that told him she was on edge so he silently put on his coat, deciding there were more important things going on than Granger's frustration.

Wordlessly, they walked out of their tent and into the night.

There was a circle of what looked like around twenty Order members outside, all looking solemn, some of them were slightly off color and he swore that Dennis Creevey was shaking. George Weasley was the first to break the silence. "What the hell is going on at this time of night?"

Luna Lovegood answered after clearing her throat. "I was on guard duty. There was sort of a crashing noise and then I saw them".

"Saw who?" asked Ron, an obvious note of panic in his voice.

"The fucking pope" Draco rolled his eyes at Weasley's stupidity. "The bloody Death Eaters, obviously!"

"I think it's odd that you're so confident about who she saw" Ginny commented.

"It's not that hard to tell, Weasley. If you're implying that I knew about this ahead of time and didn't time, you're a fool. The Death Eaters would hardly be kind when they saw me. I didn't know anymore than you".

"Yes you -

"You can force feed me some more Veritaserum after we deal with this but right now we have to defend ourselves" he snapped. "You don't have to trust me, but for now keep your doubts silence. Anyone else got a problem?"

There was another bang.

"It's just there past the river" said Harry, grimacing. "That's where the wards end, they probably figured out exactly where they are".

"What are we supposed to do then?" Ron asked, his voice still shaky and nervous.

"Let them take over our camp, obviously. Worship the dead body of Lord Voldemort and hail our new kings" Draco drawled sarcastically. His comment earned a couple of laughs. No surprise to him, Granger wasn't one of the people chuckling, but instead she was shooting daggers with her eyes

"Now isn't the time for sarcastic comments! Surely you ought to know that by now" she hissed. "You are so immature! How come we're stuck with you?"

Bang.

Everyone exchanged glances before standing up and walking onward towards the source of the bang.

:::::::::

The only sound was the footsteps and crunching of foliage and the rushing of the river, creating quite the eerie atmosphere. They stopped at the water's edge, examining their surroundings.