Chapter 13 ~ Virtue

RATED M RATED M RATED M

He still hadn't gotten used to the change in Hermione's personality.

Before, she had seemed to be one of the most lively ones there. Now she seemed only half alive, the same way everyone else was. And she felt like a walking machine. She had completely blocked out her emotions, simply because they weren't worth the risk.

"I don't like it when you smoke, Granger".

Hermione scowled at him as she took another drag of her cigarette. "Well that's kind of hypocritical, isn't it? You smoke a pack every day, at the least. Two packs when you're depressed, and three packs when you're angry".

"I know".

"Then why do you care?" she asked, furrowing her brow. "What's the difference between you and I doing it?"

"Because you're pure... Or at least you were" he sighed sadly. "Just, I don't like seeing you ruin your innocence. Besides, it's not healthy to smoke".

"Which I've told you a hundred times" she rolled her eyes. "And was I innocent, Draco? I think I'd seen too much to still be innocent. I'm not a child, you know. I can make my own decisions. Maybe I don't give a fuck if it's healthy or not, and maybe I don't give a shit about whether I'm innocent or not".

"You should" Draco murmured, meeting her gaze. "Your purity is beautiful".

"You don't have to be pure to be beautiful".

He shrugged. "True, but the purity... It suits you, and you glow with it".

"You glow without purity" she defended.

"You and I are entirely different people... And I" he closed his eyes and massaged his temples, not looking up. "I don't want you to become like me, Granger".

"You're a good man" she insisted. "Whether you know it or not".

He shook his head, but he did not fight back, knowing that it was useless. He would never understand Granger's point of view, but he was not going to argue with a good thing. He was not going to push away the only person who thought highly of him.

She rested her thumb on his cheek, tracing his features with it. He looked at her as though he would never expect such a simple, innocent and yet beautiful thing done to him. Her lips were slightly parted, as though expecting a kiss.

So he gave it to her. He gave her exactly what she wanted; what he wanted.

Their kisses were becoming different, he notice that they deepened each time. Before they had been for relieving tension, caused simply by lust or anger or passion or a combination of all three; but they were beginning to have a trace of something else now. Something he couldn't put his finger on. Something he didn't want to. Something that he knew no matter how hard to ignore, he wouldn't be able.

Something that would end up hurting them both.

But he couldn't seem to care less about the fucking ending. At the moment, he had Granger pressed securely to him and she was biting at his neck. He growled. "They should make that illegal, Granger. I think I'm going to write to the Ministry about the matter".

"Really?" she murmured into his lips.

"Really" he said gruffly.

"Liar".

::::::::::::::

It was a hard day.

Well, all days were hard, but this day was the hardest. The meeting for the Order earlier had gone badly; There was no leadership without Harry, no guidance. Draco had even muttered bitterly more than once as the fighting was going on, 'More like the Disorder of the Phoenix". Even Luna Lovegood had gotten snappy, and she was only half attentive to what was going on.